rhubarb plant

• 26 Replies

Herb

• Experienced Member
Re: rhubarb plant
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58 »
I've planted 3 crowns earlier this year (1 transplanted from a different spot, and 2 new ones)

1 has tiny stems about 3 inches long, 1 has the beginnings of a shoot, and the other has done nothing.

Maybe I'm the only Yorkshireman ever that can't grow Rhubarb.

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 13:53 »
They do take a while to start growing and setting roots so be patient. Very little stops rhubarb from growing, even Yorkshiremen  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 09:24 »
I've planted 3 crowns earlier this year (1 transplanted from a different spot, and 2 new ones)

1 has tiny stems about 3 inches long, 1 has the beginnings of a shoot, and the other has done nothing.

Maybe I'm the only Yorkshireman ever that can't grow Rhubarb.

Get thee to the triangle lad, then thee'll be able to grow it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54 »
I'm about 5 miles from the triangle...

We'l see how it goes!

rufty

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 14:15 »
"Very little stops rhubarb from growing"
Tell me about it, it's totally impossible to kill.
I had been planning to split the crown on my previous plant but discovered it was rotten (explains the poor crop last year). Dug the whole bed out to a depth of two foot, using the soil elsewhere and destroying the old crowns. New soil, new compost, tons of manure and 6 new crowns from the seed catalogue later i was really pleased with myself that I had a great fresh start. Made sure the new crowns were around the edge of the bed as far away from the old ones as possible too.
The new crows start to grow great, but then another three new crows pop up from the area of the bed there the old plant had been. They must have grown through two and a half foot of fresh soil to get their leaves out.

Never seen anything like it. On the bright side i should have a lot of rhubarb next year.

That said i am concerned about disease transfer, I had hoped that I had done enough but now I'm not sure...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 14:40 »
"Very little stops rhubarb from growing"
Quite!  Not even tying it in a plastic bag and leaving it in the shed for a couple of months by mistake.  I only discovered it while investigating the bad smell. ::)  Growing like a good 'un. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Lardman

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 16:49 »
I really have no idea why you lot can't manage to kill it  :blink: I find its almost as suicidal as a cucumber.

I've killed at least 4 shop bought crowns and a further 8 plants grown from seed , 2 more the jury is still out on but 2 seem to be at least trying to stay alive.

If anyone wants theirs killed simply post a picture and I look at it - that should be enough to either set it back a few years or see it off completely  :D I have bad rhubarb juju  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 17:13 »
 :lol: :lol: You're the only person I know of who can say that with a straight face  :D

mattwragg94

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 19:23 »
to be honest i find it hard to grow rhubarb too, last year my nan gave me 2 established crowns, both of them died, and this year i bought 2 little ones, ones died but the others got little shoots - so dont worry your not the only yorkshire lad that can grow rhubarb :ohmy: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 20:21 »
Maybe we could set up a masterclass in........rhubarb growing :D

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54 »
Checked my crowns again this morning, it's ok - all three now showing signs of growth.

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 14:14 »
I really have no idea why you lot can't manage to kill it  :blink: I find its almost as suicidal as a cucumber.

I've killed at least 4 shop bought crowns and a further 8 plants grown from seed , 2 more the jury is still out on but 2 seem to be at least trying to stay alive.

If anyone wants theirs killed simply post a picture and I look at it - that should be enough to either set it back a few years or see it off completely  :D I have bad rhubarb juju  ::)

Thank heavens Lardman - I was beginning to feel quite alone in my rhubarb killing habit!

But shhhhh I have one growing in a very large tub on the patio and so far so good  :D

clip
Rhubarb plant to big

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2023, 12:26
by cc
xx
whats this on my rhubarb plant?

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 09:34
by mumofstig
xx
Moving a rhubarb plant.

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 11:30
by Yorkie
xx
is it too late to plant rhubarb?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 21:23
by catweazle

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.