Do I have to worry?

• 7 Replies

Grubbypaws

Do I have to worry?
« on: June 07, 2020, 16:22 »
The met office are predictin a low of 5C with light winds. Do I have to worry about frost! June is  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Do I have to worry?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 17:12 »
I'd cover everything I possibly could if it were me  ::) we have had frosts in June before, even down here  :(

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 17:23 »
I'd cover everything I possibly could if it were me  ::) we have had frosts in June before, even down here  :(
Too big to cover but I will put a large fan out that my husband uses in the gym. I believe that the French use helicopters to create air turbulence over there most expensive vines if frost is feared. I also read an article about how a fan is one of the best ways to prevent frost forming.

PhilConnors

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 18:58 »
I'd ignore me :D but I will say that the weather forecasting over the last week has been erratic to say the least for us in Wiltshire. Good luck, no regrets!

al78

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 00:02 »
Too big to cover but I will put a large fan out that my husband uses in the gym. I believe that the French use helicopters to create air turbulence over there most expensive vines if frost is feared. I also read an article about how a fan is one of the best ways to prevent frost forming.

They do something like that in California to help prevent frost where they grow oranges. Frost forms when the ground cools to the freezing point, and mixing the air transfers heat from the warmer air aloft to the ground, keeping it above freezing. If you live in a valley, you are more susceptible to frost on clear cold nights, as cold air on the hills can drain into the valleys resulting in a temperature inversion from valley floor to hill summit.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 09:33 »
They do something like that in California to help prevent frost where they grow oranges. Frost forms when the ground cools to the freezing point, and mixing the air transfers heat from the warmer air aloft to the ground, keeping it above freezing. If you live in a valley, you are more susceptible to frost on clear cold nights, as cold air on the hills can drain into the valleys resulting in a temperature inversion from valley floor to hill summit.
I live in Hope valley with hills all around; thank you for this al78. We didnt have a frost but I slept well!

Christine

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 18:25 »
A gardener who isn't worrying about the weather for some reason is a mere inexperienced amateur.  ;)

And if the weather is OK well there's always something else ....

al78

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 23:07 »
A gardener who isn't worrying about the weather for some reason is a mere inexperienced amateur.  ;)

We seem to have had more extreme weather than average weather this year. The wettest February on record, immediately followed by one of the driest and sunniest spring's on record. The prolonged dry spell still hasn't broken in Horsham, despite the cooler cloudier conditions.

xx
Ants in my veg box, should I worry about this?

Started by nuzuki on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 11:40
by Oliveview
xx
chitting worry??? :(

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 17:43
by green fingers
xx
spud worry

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 16:38
by DD.
xx
Sweetcorn worry

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 07:52
by Salmo

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 45 queries.