Chicks hatching - mother now left nest after only a couple hatched

• 5 Replies

Foghorn-Leghorn

My parents have a broody sat on 8 eggs.  As of this afternoon, two have hatched but the broody is now off the nest and brooding the two hatched chicks, leaving the rest of the eggs untended in the nest.

My dad has just rung me wondering what the best course of action is.  I don't really have any idea but I knew a good place to ask - so here I am!  Does anyone have any advice as the best course of action my dad can take (or not as the case may be).

Thank you for reading.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Re: Chicks hatching - mother now left nest after only a couple hatched
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 17:55 »
FL has your dad got an inncy? or know of any one that has? She may go back and sit on the eggs, but i have experienced this and had to put the rest of the eggs in the inncy, and then rear them myself, sometimes you can pop them back with her late at night but there is always a risk with doing that.
Hope this is of some help to you, good luck
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

frickinradical

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 18:23 »
what you need is a small box, big enough for her to sit in ONLY, this will make sure that she doesn't move around and that the remaining eggs are kept warm, also keep her in relative darkness this will keep her more calm. hope this helps

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 19:13 »
the remaining eggs could be duds so this could be why she has left the eggs. Personally I wouldn't put her back on them. Try candling the eggs and if they are viable then pop them in an incy or warm place if you can. You would then need to set up a brooder with a heat lamp should any hatch.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hjobri2

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 20:47 »
This happened with ours earlier this year.  Unfortunately hens have a time window of about 24-48 hours where they will accept any hatchlings, after this they are off the nest and won't accept any more.  If you cant find an incubator then your best bet is to put them in a box in the airing cuboard.  If any hatch in the next few days then you will have to hand rear, if nothing hatches within a few days then the eggs are infertile or the embryos have died.  I strongly discourage trying to put any chicks back with the hens, we tried to do this and the hen tried to attack the chick, fortunately we grabbed it back quickly.  Hatchlings need to be kept inside and kept very warm, about 98 degree F for the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees every week thereafter.  A cardboard box with a regularly refilled hot water bottle under a towell will do for a few days but PandT Poultry do a good range of brooder cages and lamps and are fast to deliver.  Beware, a lone chick is very demanding! Ours would cry when i put it in its box and would only settle at night, i ended up carrying it around for 14 hours a day.  Also a lone chick will think you are its mum.  2 or more chicks is still time consuming but at least they keep each other company and don't require constant attention.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:12 »
Thank you all for your replies.  Apparently as of yesterday tea time she was back on the eggs, taking her chicks with her so I shall see what today's update will bring.  I will also pass on the info re checking if they are duds or not and then if they may be viable, it may be a last ditch attempt in the airing cupboard!

xx
5 chicks have hatched,one egg left and overdue one day?

Started by Missie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 18:14
by 22fox
xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
Pics of mother hen and chicks !

Started by spud on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2006, 22:33
by spud
xx
Mother Hen Attacking Chicks

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 09:38
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 33 queries.