Ideas and suggestions wanted

• 20 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Ideas and suggestions wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 12:52 »
People here are far too negative!!

What made you say that?  ??? I know a couple of us said give it up if you don't need it, but I see that as being sensible rather than negative. Most allotmenteers and veggie growers have had more than their fair share of hard graft, only to do it all over again at a later date - I think that is why most gardeners are known as nutters  :)

Again, I have to agree with Norfolk Grey.  My plot was untouched for a decade before I took it on.  It's 200 square yards and every weekend for a year, with the exception of two or three, I spent many hours digging up weeds.  It's because I know how miserable that process can be  that I suggested walking away from the plot in the pictures.  If one doesn't need the plot, what's the point in breaking one's back to try to sort it? Saying 'no' doesn't automatically mean you're being negative!  :)

Perhaps it was just the way it came across then so I apologise. There has to be an element of enjoyment/satisfaction in it obviously for it to be worth continuing but I would have thought that anyone who takes on a plot like that has that. For me, seeing a plot turn from the worst area on the site to a workable plot producing plenty of food gives far greater satisfaction (I am also very aware it is far from the neatest/most productive it could be but it is a gradual process each year). As weird as it sounds I find the large scale clearing etc much more enjoyable than some of the actual 'gardening' bits that others enjoy. I was told by all the old boys on the site that a young girl like me wouldn't be able to sort the area out on my own - especially while working full time. Only one guy kept wandering over to give me some words of encouragement. But where there's a will.....

Good luck to the original poster whatever they decide to do

Christine

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 19:24 »
Thank you all for the many and varied ideas, all of which will be pondered and thrown into the mix. I shall have to keep the plot till the brassicas have done their thing so we shall be into next year and touching on the next growing season - well I'm not going to lose the crops I've planted so long as they grow, especially the PSB.

Therefore I have another year in which to finish the clearing, plant up and dig in the green manure I have and to scrounge anything that will improve the soil.

I shan't break my back over it and will keep the other plot well in hand for all the usual. This time next year I shall make the decision as to whether to pass it on or not.

I suppose that I just like a challenge.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 18:45 »
And I am pleased to hear you are doing this. It needs people like you to take on these derelict areas and return them to productivity on sites all over the country.

I wish you were on our site, Christine  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 20:32 »
You got that many derelict plots sunshine that you want someone to go round and tidy them up? Not sure I'm young enough to do serial resurrection of plots.  ;)

OK start from the beginning and follow through till you get to the last two - that'll show you what steady work will do with a spade and patience. Mind I was in a hole nearly up to my knees to get some plastic out this evening - just don't like to be beaten! :lol:

And if you want to know what a proper plot looks like - try my normal one then end of June. That was clear when I took it but the soil was hammered and has been loved for years.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 22:46 »
Like your pictures, you are doing really well.  Keep on going!

Anne

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00 »
What a transformation. I wouldn't give up on it after all that work, even if it just became your orchard
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
suggestions wanted for planting under bean frame

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 10:52
by fletch
xx
5 x 50L plastic pots: ideas wanted about what to plant in them.

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2018, 00:04
by DHM
xx
what bug is this, DD wanted to know ?

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 21:22
by sunshineband
xx
Just wanted to say HELLO

Started by greenfingers on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 09, 2006, 22:50
by noshed

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 32 queries.