watering....

• 15 Replies

courgette

watering....
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:13 »
We're on a water metre & as in a mid-terrace can't really attach a waterbutt to the house so some1 suggested I water my plants with my dirty dish water?! They've done this apparently with no problem (didnt say if was veg or flowers), but I'm not sure I like the idea of doing this to my growing veg?! NE1 do this?!  :?

puravida

• Experienced Member
watering....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19 »
it's a great idea - it's called grey water and a google trawl will throw up all sorts of gadgets and gizmos to help you collect it. Like a hosepipe syphon attachment for watering your garden using used bath water so you can run the hose out of your bathroom window!

If you are planning to do this, then I'd recommend only using lightly used water - not the greasy slop form washing up after the sunday roast for example!

I'd also suggest if you are not already, then you switch to an eco-brand of detergent that breaks down faster and has little or no detrimental impact on your soil quality.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

courgette

watering....
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:17 »
sounds good, thanks very much for your help, now searching on google!   :)

brucesgirl

watering....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:21 »
I wouldn't do it on seedlings though, but for the rest of the garden it is absolutely fine.

poultrygeist

watering....
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:53 »
If you have a few bob to spare and you enjoy going up a ladder, you can possibly cut into the guttering and add a downpipe from your section.

Might be planning/building regs issues but council could advise.

Rob

fluffybunny

watering....
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 17:31 »
Can I hijack this with a dumb newbie watering question - I've just got my first allotment and have barely mown a lawn before so really am totally clueless.  What's the easiest way to go about watering your plants in midsummer when there's no rain and no water on site?  :oops:  :oops:

poultrygeist

watering....
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 17:46 »
Not got a lottie, but I would have thought either a waterbutt from a shed/greenhouse roof or a wheelbarrow and a few containers of water and a lot of sweat !

Sorry can't come up with anything else.  :)

Rob

fluffybunny

watering....
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 17:50 »
Thanks that's what I was thinking - at least I'm not missing something obvious!  Unfortunately I'm not allowed a shed, I do have a water butt though, do you reckon it's worth taking it along and slowly filling it over time to reduce the burden on me in summer!?

poultrygeist

watering....
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 17:58 »
Sounds like a plan. Could you erect a bit of a frame with a sloping roof just to collect some run off ?

Or are they a bit strict ?

Rob

PAH48

• Experienced Member
watering....
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 17:58 »
Hi...Courgette, having fitted much Pvc guttering ect, ref-'The Regs' as Rob said...

Yes you can cut into existing an existing gutter,  fit a downpipe/gutter section, fit downpipe to a barrel using a downpipe elbow/junction.

Then continue the downpipe to a drain or soak-away. The downpipe"must"
always lead a drain. The materials are realy cheap to do so, beware on ladders, always tie them.
Hope that helps..PAH :wink:

gobs

watering....
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 18:11 »
You can collect from a polytunnel or greenhouse too, that should be allowed, if may not don't ask, just put it up doubt if they would take it down. :wink:

You can't have enough water buts. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

fluffybunny

watering....
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 18:24 »
Thanks all - fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure yet, my plot is next to the Chair of the Parish Council's so I probably won't get away with a lot!  Will have to put some creative thought into this one :?

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
watering....
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 18:57 »
Thanks all - fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure yet, my plot is next to the Chair of the Parish Council's so I probably won't get away with a lot! Will have to put some creative thought into this one

In that case you will have to watch what he/she does and take a photo. There's always late eves and parish meeting times for getting the hose and sprinkler out.

courgette

watering....
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43 »
Quote from: "PAH48"
Hi...Courgette, having fitted much Pvc guttering ect, ref-'The Regs' as Rob said...

Yes you can cut into existing an existing gutter,  fit a downpipe/gutter section, fit downpipe to a barrel using a downpipe elbow/junction.

Then continue the downpipe to a drain or soak-away. The downpipe"must"
always lead a drain. The materials are realy cheap to do so, beware on ladders, always tie them.
Hope that helps..PAH :wink:

Thanks for the info....any idea if i have to get permission from anyone first? i.e. council or joined houses that share guttering? :?:

poultrygeist

watering....
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 09:22 »
Hi again Courgette,

For any NEW downpipe you will normally require building regs approval.
Ie. application + fee to the council and as PAH said, an approved means of getting rid of the water. Soakaway or break into the drains.

Could get expensive.  :(

Rob

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
How much watering do you do ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 21:13
by Babstreefern
xx
Watering?

Started by leehr68 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 18:54
by David.
xx
WATERING

Started by Debz and Jon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 14:29
by supersprout

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 35 queries.