Watering?

• 10 Replies

leehr68

Watering?
« on: May 07, 2009, 13:21 »
I have recently taken over a plot of my own at my local allotments and have manged to plant a good seletion of veg. I am however, a little unsure how frequently I should water. I have been watering daily whilst we've had dry weather but I don't know if I'm overdoing it a bit. I have planted pots, cabbages, broccoli, sweetcorn, courgettes, onions, carrots, parsnips, leeks, lettuce, spring onions, turnips and runner beans.

Does anybody have any advice?

Lee.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Re: Watering?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 13:37 »
stuff i have planted outside i only water once a week and only if there hasnt been any rain, the greenhouse i water every couple fo days, probably not the ideal but it works for me.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 14:22 »
You should stick your finger into the soil to at least the first knuckle. If the soil is damp to the bottom, there's adequate water. If it's dry, it needs more. But long, deep watering is superior to quick short bursts of watering which don't penetrate deeply regardless of frequency. The short bursts encourage shallow roots which are then at the mercy of dry weather later. Deep, long watering encourages roots to go down deep and you need do it only every week or two.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 14:30 »
While your plants are small you can try this....Stick your finger into the soil a couple of inches, if it feels dry there then water, and water well or you will encourage roots to the surface, which isn't good :(
When you think you have watered enough dig a tiny hole and see if the water has got down a few inches....if it has good...if not you need to water a bit more.
This way you'll soon learn how much to apply to your soil. At this time of year there is usually enough moisture a few inches down unless you have very free draining soil, or maybe raised beds.

You beat me to it Trillium:lol:

leehr68

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 15:03 »
That's great thanks. Kinda makes sense when stop and think about it.

Thanks again

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 16:52 »
When I plant out young plants I put plenty of water in the planting hole, before backfilling with soil. Then I usually don't have to water again for ages, as I know there's nice damp soil underneath.
Rachael

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 17:05 »
What about watering seedlings in pots?
I have sweetcorn, courgettes and runners (courgettes and runners not showing yet) in paper pots in the coldframe. I keep them damp at all times, is this right or do they need less? I have them all standing in a plastic gravel tray to keep the paper pots standing up together so when I water the tray is coping some of it too. Don't want to water log them so how do you get it just right?

leehr68

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 17:43 »
What about watering seedlings in pots?
I have sweetcorn, courgettes and runners (courgettes and runners not showing yet) in paper pots in the coldframe. I keep them damp at all times, is this right or do they need less? I have them all standing in a plastic gravel tray to keep the paper pots standing up together so when I water the tray is coping some of it too. Don't want to water log them so how do you get it just right?

I started off the courgettes and sweetcorn in seed trays and just kept them damp and warm in small clear pvc covered shelves from wilkinsons (like a small greenhouse, £15). I then transferred them into 6 inch pots and put them outside, watch out for frost though and kept them well watered and they've all done really well. I ended up with loads more than expected and have now found myself giving some away to other people on the allotment.

Don't know about the runners yet, I put mine straight into the ground. I'm a newbie, so it's all a bit trial and error at the moment. It is quite addictive though.

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 17:56 »
i water my pots when they feel light ,

on the plot i water once each week and feed with comfrey once a week, usually sundays for water and thursdays for comphrey

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 18:11 »
I agree with "water when the pots are light".  Pick one up, feel the weight, give it a really good watering, let it drain, and then note how much heavier it is.

When a plant is first potted-on it probably won't need watering very much - every two or three days - depending on how sunny / hot it is.  Once its roots have filled the pot then it will need watering every day, perhaps twice a day, until next potted on.

David.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 18:54 »
"Soak the thoroughly when you plant them out. Really drench the roots before you settle them into the soil. But after that don't give them another drop of water as long as they live." - talking about tomatoes - Fred Streeter, a radio broadcaster starting in the 1930's.

Because it causes them to send their roots out/waste energy into dry territory.

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
WATERING

Started by Debz and Jon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 14:29
by supersprout
xx
watering

Started by Lightlady on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 19:32
by Stripey_cat
xx
Watering

Started by Woulfeman on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 20:24
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.