run flooring help!!

• 9 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
run flooring help!!
« on: January 04, 2013, 23:00 »
My chooks have a huge walk in run which is covered but due too the awfull rain their is a slight leak which is yet to be sorted by one of the many men in the house  ::) the run is on concrete and i currently use a deep layer of aubiose but its getting disgustingly damp and blocks up any gaps that the water can drain out of. Also its costing a fortune cause im having too change it so often to prevent any smell. Is their any better type of floor coverage i could use for the time being i dont want to just leave them on concrete with nothing to scratch in. I was thinking of some sort of gravel but dont know if that will be too hard on concrete. Touch wood its all dry at the moment but its only a matter of time for the rain to come back no doubt.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: run flooring help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:24 »
it may be better (and cheaper) to sort out the leak, also if you put some boarding at the base of the run all the way around it will stop any water creeping in that way.  Pooh pick any big poohs and then use a rake to turn the flooring over - this will make it last longer.
I am always weary about using gravel on the floor as it is natural forr hens to scrratch and you don't want to risk them injuring their feet.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 13:09 »
Miscanthus is a cheaper option and will last slightly longer so might be worth looking into.

snow white

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 20:23 »
I use wood chip.  They are really chunky bits of wood and last ages.  I put bio-dry down to keep on top of excess moisture and it also stops it smelling.  I put it down last May and have only recently had to change some of it (the bits that get wet from the sideways rain!  The chooks love scratching it about. 

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 23:24 »
Yes thats my problem sideways rain  :lol: may have to give wood chips a try. How well do they compost?? Thick wood chip would also stop my problem of the drainage bit blocking. And joyfull you are right but try telling the OH that im already having to finish our half decorated bedroom which was started 12 months ago  ::)

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 17:27 »
For us gravel has been a godsend. They do have real free range so perhaps not the same for everybody, but in recent weather they have stayed near coop. They do also have sheltered dirt areas. For the main run/access to the coop, we have gravel over concrete drained in one direction. They seem to love it and will dig holes to settle in - just don't stand behind them whilst they do it! Cleaning is just a matter of hosing from one end to the other with a quick rake. 20mm cheap gravel is about £30 per tonne.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 18:39 »
Not sure wood chip is that good for composting as it takes ages to break down?
I use a mix of wood shavings (on the dry bits of the run) and miscanthus (on the damper bits) which seems to work ok. They dig the run over so well I am thinking of using them to dig over the veg patch (freeing OH to get on with other duties! In my dreams!  ::))
When the girls free range onto the gravel path it sounds like a machine gun going off when they start to scratch - we're used to it but visitors aren't!  :D

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 20:33 »
A couple of you a mentioned miscanthus where wound i get it from?? I dont want to jinx it but the weather has been pretty ok lately  :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 20:41 »
You should be able to buy it anywhere that sells horsey stuff or at a farm supply store.
I can't think of where might be close to you. There are plenty my side of Exeter like Orchard nurseries (Tedburn St Mary), Mole Valley Farmers, Cornwall Farmers and Mole Avon.

Try this one, not been there but you could call them and see what they stock.

Matford Home Farm Matford Exeter, Devon EX2 8XT‎
01392 430750
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 20:47 by JaK »

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 22:17 »
Brilliant thanx Jak i usually go to a farm suppliers in kenford so i will check there first  :)

xx
What to use for flooring

Started by stujem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 02:35
by hillfooter
xx
What flooring should I use in their run?

Started by stujem on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 07:58
by ehs284
xx
Run Flooring

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 15:57
by grumpydad
xx
Run flooring

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:34
by DannyBoy230

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 29 queries.