Can anyone help?

• 4 Replies

LynnR

Can anyone help?
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:38 »
Hello everyone,

I am new here. I keep 6 chickens in my garden and have never had any problems with them.  About a month or so ago one of them, Lavendar, had a slightly paler comb and was a bit quiet. I gave her some poultry drops. Within no time she was right as rain. Although she is the biggest of my hens, she tends to stand back a bit when the others are going mad for treats. She has been through her moult and looks in fantastic condition. Two days ago I noticed that whilst she was eating a bit, she seemed fairly disinterested in food. I gave her the nutri drops again but they had no effect. Yesterday she was eating and seemed fairly normal just quiet but today she is standing in a corner and not holding her head up. I have given her a check over and can't see anything obvious. Her comb is red, her legs and feet in good order, feathers look beautiful, her eyes are bright and her crop feels fine.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I am a vet nurse but in a small animal practice so we never deal with chickens and the vets that I work with are not clued up on them. I will take her to a vet if necessary.

Many thanks,
Lynn

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59 »
Hi LynnR and welcome to the site.

Check her abdomen for any abnormal lumps or bumps, possibility of being egg bound.
Have your hens been wormed recently with flubenvet, a heavy worm burden can cause problems and death?.
Check the coop for redmite as they feed on the hens blood during the night.  A piece of white paper run in the nook and crevices will show signs of blood if you have them.
Check her over for lice, especially around the head and vent area.
Has she been laying regularly or stopped for the winter?  She could be trying to pass a soft shelled egg so a warm bath for about 20 to 30 minutes would help.  Gently towel dry and finish drying with hairdryer set on low.  Make sure she is really dry before she is allowed outside in the cold.

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on.   :)
I hope this
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59 »
Usually any animal will go off on its own if its not well, any weakness makes it vunerable to its 'friends'

Everything seems fine, just wants a bit of 'space' but I'd give her 24-48 hours, see how she is and if she isnt feeding, drinking, drop herinto the vets

I had a bantam like that, she was eating, drinking fine, just liked to be on her own, never took treats, but was always first when I was digging and had all the worms

Sorry I cant be more helpfull
It's all about the journey, not the destination

LynnR

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 17:19 »
Many thanks, I will keep a close eye on her!

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:43 »
Agree with ANHBUC and it could be she is trying to pass a soft-shelled egg which takes it out of them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 36 queries.