Home made pecka block

• 9 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Home made pecka block
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:17 »
Just baking my own pecka block for the girls, does anyone have any other recipes ::)

I have used 6 tbsp of flour, handful of peanuts, currants, porridge oats, a cup of corn and a chopped apple, I mixed it up with water to a sticky dough and pressed it all into a silicon loaf tray. It is cooking as I type, along with today's dinner on a low heat, hopefully the girls will like it and it is much cheaper than buying one! I will let you know if they like it!

scrappydoo

Re: Home made pecka block
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 13:15 »
 :) Hi Chuckmum
                How about half a cabbage (on a string) easier & possibly cheaper?

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

BADBACK

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 13:29 »
PECKA PIE how long do you cook it for?

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 15:41 »
I do have cabbage on a string for greens on the three days when they aren't free ranging, thought they'd like a change.
This was dead easy took me 2 mins and actually very cheap, all the ingredients were in and either bought for the chickens, or at the end of there life in the cupboard. I had the oven on to cook the dinner so no cost there - it took about 1hr on 150 ish, I did turn up the heat to finish my meal off at the end. Cook until its like a brick!!!!! I split it in half and tied it up like a parcel with string and it is now suspended from the cube run awaiting the return of the happy wanderers! :D :D :D :D :D

I will get my boys to make the next one as children will love doing this! ;)

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:11 »
Never heard of a pecka block, is it to give the girls something to do or has it got healthy properties? 

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:31 »
they hang them in hen batteries to give the hens something to peck at other than each other. They will be full of seeds and stuff to provide nutrients. They expensive though so good idea to make them if you can  :)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 17:19 »
Just a treat for my girls. I only make them one a month and put half out every two weeks - it doesn't last long and it is full of all sorts of yummy chicken things. I've bulked mine up with layers pellets too - 2/3 of my flock now all laying now, could it be the magic of the pecka block? :D :lol: :D :lol:
My boys like making this for their girls, they love mixing in all the different things and it is simples!

janet12000

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 17:24 »
Right then, that's something to do in half term.  :)

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 21:10 »
Have just done a search on the net loads of different things can be added to the mix it seems, really most things the girls like, ie mixed corn, grit, raisins, dried meal worms, sunflower seeds, flour, a bit of honey, sweetcorn etc.  I am definitely going to have a go at one of these in the morning. 

I read somewhere that people hang up corn on the cob to amuse their girlies and give them something to peck at, tried it with mine and they wouldn't touch it, so stripped it off the cob, cooked and given back to them and it lasted in the dish about 2 mins, fussy or what lol!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 10:06 »
Yes mine find corn on the cob scary  :D :D :D :D

question
Home- made ACV

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 11:31
by ehs284
xx
Home Made Rat poison

Started by Viv on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 08:25
by ck2day
xx
Home Made Incubators

Started by Hitman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 12:43
by grinling
xx
home made incubator

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:19
by alotment shed

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 32 queries.