comfry

• 5 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
comfry
« on: February 12, 2010, 18:05 »
hi, i have recently got my own allotment and am getting things ready for my first chickens! (Im so excited) i have read somewhere that it is safe to feed wilted comfrey leaves to chickens but i wanted to know would it be safe to have a comfry patch in my chicken run or would it not be very healthy for my chickens to eat it fresh? i also want to use some of it to make my own fertalizer. thanks matt.

agapanthus

Re: comfry
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 19:23 »
Fresh is fine......ours have it as a staple in the growing months!  :)

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:19 »
Confrey makes a wonderful liquid fertiliser but boy does it smell! ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Aslan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 14:59 »
You can definitely feed them comfry but I'm afraid you won't have a comfry patch as such if they get to it regulalrly. You could cordon off because comfry will crop several times a year. Let 'em at it, then cordon off again, They'll love it.

Aslo put some asside yourself in a large, resealable jar, topping up with fresh leaves every so often. No water required. Leave for a year at least. It will rot down slowly and leave a brown liquid. After a few months more this will go black and essentially smells not bad but don't go down the pub waering this as aftershave. The Romans used it for rubbing on sprains a breaks. It was known as Knitbone. Excellent remedy for your sportsmen or old farts with dodgy pins.

Agreeing with another poster it smells like death when composting down in water. BUT it is unbeatable as a fertilizer. Use about a largish cap full to a gallon of water. Keep it tightly sealed in a closed barrel. My neighbours actually called in Dino Rod because they though they had a sewer burst. They check 8 houses down the street. I couldn't confess.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 18:40 »
confrey spreads like wild fire if u want to grow your own for the girls i would suggest u use a large planter .
my girls love the stuff fresh i just collect fresh from the pathways on the site as its spread so much  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11 »
Great to hear comfrey's good for the girls as I have a wild patch of it growing in the wooded copse just the other side of my back fence. I've never used it as a fertilizer as I'd heard it was a bit pongy and we get enough smells around here when they spread the pig muck on the fields...

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 36 queries.