changed my mind

• 28 Replies

gobs

changed my mind
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 21:05 »
Well, I don't have plenty, but my neighbour does, and so does my daughter, both of them did brill in this monsoonic summer, oh boy, am I glad she sowed this and that! :tongue2:

On the serious note, nothing to be lost, all to be gained, but there is a downside to most things, feeding it,  I suspect in this case.  The soil shall need to be more looked after in that respect as it's being overused, especially on close planting.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

SkipRat

changed my mind
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 21:53 »
I use the raised bed system, as my soil is really heavy so the choice is made for me but if i had nice loamy soil it would be rows and more rows
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
changed my mind
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 22:43 »
I've raised beds on one plot and I'm putting them in on part of the second. It's very much  depending on what you have to work with and how you work that makes the choice.

The results from raised beds this monsoon year were brilliant compared to flat bed grown. Mainly because the raised beds were above the water table and we have a source of tons of cheap compost to fill them with  :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

sweet nasturtium

changed my mind
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 23:38 »
I thought that smaller beds planted in blocks would work but my Brussels have really suffered, partly because I was too tempted to plant them closer in together.  They're riddled with whitefly I think partly because they are huddled in tight.

But my carrots really did well from being in a mound type bed and small blocks was good because I planted new ones every few weeks and could then clear space as I harvested.

So I think it depends on your crop, for which reason I'm not going to use raised beds but I will continue to mound up the carrot and root beds.  I may make a kind of temporary frame that I can move round as I rotate the crops.

I will also invest in some old bits of carpet to help me mark the paths out more clearly.
And finally, I can't wait to get a rotovator and go over the whole plot just like a real farmer. :wink:

Annie

changed my mind
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 23:39 »
we have raised beds and this year had moss on one of them!However our plot is in the garden so with paths we are not paying for unproductive space.We chose raised beds because we have heavy,red clay,are on a slope so could terrace the area a bit and have loads of trees around so only have to control roots that bother the outside beds..

milkman

changed my mind
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 09:02 »
well I love my fixed beds and wouldn't be without them.  

I could prattle on for ages about all the advantages but it would end up being an essay that no one would want to read.

instead I'll post the latest pics in the album.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

piskieinboots

• Experienced Member
changed my mind
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41 »
I go for raised beds because I never stay in one place (married to the RAF) for long enough to develop good fixed beds - raised are a quick option as we almost always end up living in places with too much clay

You asked earlier on about what else to plant at this time of year, surely spring cabbages can still go in - I put some in two weeks ago and sprouting broccoli, they were bought as baby plants, but seem to be fine
in need of getting in the garden

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
changed my mind
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 13:06 »
Hi.
The other reason to use fixed or raised beds is if you have littlies around. I always have kids with me, and they need VERY clear boundaries (Physical!!) for where they can step or not.

I do appreciate that probably 1/4 of my plot is paths maybe even 1/3, but the kids love charging around and I don't stress that they will stand on some planted garlic or seed.

Also as has been mentioned it is good to weed one bed at a time, and doesn't seem so daunting when you only have an hour or so with kids in tow!!

Mine aren't raised as I don't have money for the wood. (or skill to use pallets) but we used fixed beds and myex type stuff on the paths with wood chip on top. much better. No weeding path or nettles to hurt the kids.. on our plot annyway!!

sweet nasturtium

changed my mind
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 14:34 »
loubylou how do you stop the woodchip from getting into the beds (given that they don't have wood barriers if I've got you right).?

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
changed my mind
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 19:26 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
loubylou how do you stop the woodchip from getting into the beds (given that they don't have wood barriers if I've got you right).?

Not sure really..... the beds are cut in, so have a sort of V trench at the edge... actually you'd think the chips would fall in more, but they don't!

I would like to edge them with wood one day.. but at this point in time I am keen to keep costs down, and when I buy some wood this winter it is to make a Munty frame!! I might even treat myself to a gate!  :D

sweet nasturtium

changed my mind
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 23:19 »
I think I'll do the same, but just go along in rows and then board them up as and when I get the wood.  It's an awful lot of wood that's needed. 120ft by 15!!!

milkman

changed my mind
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 08:04 »
a lot of perfectly good wood for edging can be acquired for free by rifling through skips etc on business / industrial parks on a quiet sunday morning... (otherwise it's all heading straight for landfill)

upthetump

• Experienced Member
changed my mind
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 09:17 »
I'm going raised beds and have installed my first 2. My plot was empty for a few years and the more I dig and clear it the worse it seems to get. I'm taking soil from it every time I clear it and after 10 efforts and clearing it completely it is now back to mountain. To suppress the weeds and give me a chance of acheiving anything I need the bed system. My pathways are only 14" and the soil is not compacted like a traditional plot. I suppose its "horses for courses"

muntjac

changed my mind
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 09:22 »
Quote from: "upthetump"
I'm going raised beds and have installed my first 2. My plot was empty for a few years and the more I dig and clear it the worse it seems to get. I'm taking soil from it every time I clear it and after 10 efforts and clearing it completely it is now back to mountain. To suppress the weeds and give me a chance of acheiving anything I need the bed system. My pathways are only 14" and the soil is not compacted like a traditional plot. I suppose its "horses for courses"

" werks for thee " tump matey  :wink:
still alive /............

xx
Anything changed your mind this year?

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 23, 2010, 08:57
by madcat
xx
Time out of mind.

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 08:59
by sophiejo
xx
Grass it's all in the mind

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2015, 13:37
by Goosegirl
xx
It's changed my life...

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 06:33
by Growster...

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 35 queries.