Nothing seems to grow in half of two of my beds

• 6 Replies

Eblana

Nothing seems to grow in half of two of my beds
« on: June 22, 2015, 18:48 »
Folks I am really perplexed and I am hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on a problem I am having with two raised beds.

Last year I planted peas in one bed and brassicas in the other but only those sown in the bottom part of each bed germinated.  This year I planted potatoes in both these beds, all the potatoes in the bottom parts of the beds have come through but in the top part only about 5% of the potatoes have come up.  The top part of each bed is right in front of the poly tunnel and they were fairly wet (not waterlogged) about two weeks after the potatoes went in, the water ran off from them and into the soak away, could this have leeched all the good out of this end of the beds.  As the area is roughly the same area where I had no germination last year I am wondering if there is something wrong with the soil at that end of the beds.  Both beds were heavily manures in the winter of 2013.  Could I have gotten some manure with something in it in part of the bed and not in the rest.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Nothing seems to grow in half of two of my beds
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 20:02 »
The ends of the beds all down the south side of my plot don't grow as well as the rest of the bed and I always put it down to them being in the shade of the adjoining fence. Could it be that? Or is that too obvious?
 In my plot it is especially noticeable in the strawberry bed, but also obvious in the onion bed.
Anne

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 22:31 »
Is the soakaway working? Can you find the seed potatoes or have they rotted away?
Peas hate wet soil.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 14:00 »
Have you had a good dig down in case there is something there that is causing the problem?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 17:49 »
I don't think shade is the problem.  I will dig down on Thursday when I am up there again and see if the seed potato has rotted and see how wet it is or is there anything there that might be causing the problem.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 20:52 »
Was up at the plot today.  Some more of the potatoes have popped through in the bed but they are still a bit sparse.  I think I have gotten to the bottom of the problem.  I have an automatic watering system in the Polytunnel which is on a timer, a couple of weeks back I found the PT was flooded because the timer wasn't working so the water was flowing permanently. It looks like this amount of water overwhelmed the soak away and has raised the water table, soaked the top half of the beds and rotted off some of the seed potatoes.

Steve_LF

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37 »
They're fruiting and I've harvested a couple, all 3 plants look healthy in my polytunnel> Soon I'll have more than I can eat!

xx
Fruit to grow in half sun

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:52
by Babstreefern
xx
Growing toms in one half of a grow bag

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 15:05
by unconcerned
xx
What different veg can I grow in the same beds

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 22:03
by trogg
xx
half potato half tomato plant??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 00:16
by bonfire

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 29 queries.