What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2020, 16:54 »
Quick visit to plot to sprinkle some growmore onto the asparagus bed. In the past this has been a luxury crop looks like it will be a mainstay instead this year.
Cheers HH
Keep digging

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2020, 20:06 »
I trimmed the smaller branches off the pear, apple, cherry and plum trees community orchard near the In Laws to get rid of canker. All bar one which I need someone to pull down within lopper reach.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2020, 14:22 »
Cleaned and steralised all the pots and trays and took photos :)
plot-3326.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2020, 18:45 »
We added 12 cuttings onto the apple tree. We're not sure how much of it is the scion part of the tree and how much is root stock.

Played spot the rhubarb and marked them, 2 are missing, 4 are sprouted. Added 6x chicken manure to the raspberry bed, back fruit area of the plot, gooseberry bed and blackberries. Husband watered most of that as I could pull rather large dandelions out of the soil no problem.

Dug over another small area and weeded the raspberry bed.

I also bought some over plants needing planted out so I can get the pots. 12p per pot as opposed to not enough pots. Also as a bonus they are yellow or pink or blue or white. So I can put the "yellow beak" in the yellow ones and the cherry bombs in the pink (colour designated by one of the children).

Children are in the bath.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2020, 16:47 »
Quick visit to water the various seedlings. Everything going ok so far, I need to pot on some of the toms though pretty soon!
Seedlings.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2020, 19:27 »
Planted all the potatoes, cleared another bed, finished removing all last years strings from the bean frame (munty), tidied up a lot, bashed my finger between 2 slabs, boy that hurt  :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2020, 21:23 »
At home today planted the rest of my early spuds in bags I now have 13 bags so hopefully should get a reasonable crop. Also sowed some radish and lettuce into an old tomato bag from last year. It looks like the weather is going to warm up again soon though it has been pretty dry here recently.
HH

wneva

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2020, 08:43 »
For the seventh day running my wife and I went to the plot to get things ready for this year's planting.  Mainly digging over and removing the weeds - there's a lot of them.  We notice each day how few people there are on the site - there's about 30 allotments and each day only two or three folk there, today nobody at all.  We think this is a great opportunity to get things a lot more shipshape than in previous years.  Hope the good weather here in Bucks continues.

And we're hoping that the mail order firms will continue to send the stuff we've ordered - esp as we heard that garden centres are to close.  Not that I'd like to go to any kind of shop - we're both in the vulnerable category so it's strictly home delivery and mail order for us. 

The council has posted a notice on the gate saying we're allowed to use the allots, provided 2 metres etc.  Hope it stays that way!

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2020, 22:55 »
Cleared the salad beds and put some compost on them. Cleared an area ready for potatoes.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2020, 23:53 »
Took the plunge and planted both the early container spuds and the main crop. I'm delighted at how good the soil is now in my beds compared to the claggy clay I had when I took on the plot :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2020, 18:50 »
Sowed Chantennay carrots, spring onions and beetroot in containers.

jambop

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2020, 16:44 »
What a day in the garden! Sun all day and so warm too. I finished making up my raised no dig beds I now have sixteen in total at 1.5m x 3m so I have called a halt. I have enough materials to make up some beds for my new polytunnel and one for the existing tunnel for winter salad stuff and I have a big space left for my outdoor tomatoes. We are into a nice run of growing weather now with daytime temps of around 20C but will be getting rain mixed in there as well so I regard that as perfect for seed germination and getting things growing. This lockdown lark certainly gets you working in the garden  :lol:

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2020, 18:54 »
Planted out salad and coriander. Them went home and started to decorate the hall so I can spend more time at plot guilt free.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2020, 19:08 »
Planted out some beetroot seedlings at home and sowed some rather old carrot seeds in tape. Not sure whether the carrots will germinate but if not I will put something else in the tub. Fingers crossed if they do germinate the dreaded carrot fly won’t find them here at home instead of at the plot. Hope we don’t get told we can’t exercise away from home ( ie at the plot ) but if we do I have some plans for veg in the garden.
HH

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2020, 16:47 »
Visit to plot to see if any signs of life yet. Asparagus not showing yet but managed to collect some more rhubarb. We really need to have some rain here I reckon to start things growing properly. Good walk to plot though for my “exercise” session.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 46 queries.