marigolds

• 69 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: marigolds
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 14:06 »
I had a packet of Tagetes minuta given to me to treat an area infested with ground elder. It says on the packet blurb that its root secretions will deter the weed. I don't know if it's true but worth the try.  It also had info on the pack about using it to get rid of worms in spuds by sowing it prior to where the spuds are to be planted.

Uh oh that's the one that grows up to 4ft high though.....perhaps not such a good idea round the edge of your beds. :(

Trillium

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 14:17 »
Mustard is the seed of choice in North America to kill a lot of ground pests and 'cleanse' the soil. You'll see fields and fields of brilliant yellow flowers growing in 'fallow' fields to prepare them for future crops. I'm sure I've seen pictures of fields of mustard also grown in the UK for this very purpose.
As for slugs loving marigolds, it's the very reason why I grow them....because the slugs detest them.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 14:35 »

and sin of sins i copied and pasted an article .
i'm sorry

i won't do it again

Many thanks George !

If you knew how much bother it causes us with google and copywrite issues then you would understand how bad copy and paste is for forums.

rivkele

• vo quartet
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 16:44 »
Mustard is the seed of choice in North America to kill a lot of ground pests and 'cleanse' the soil. You'll see fields and fields of brilliant yellow flowers growing in 'fallow' fields to prepare them for future crops. I'm sure I've seen pictures of fields of mustard also grown in the UK for this very purpose.
As for slugs loving marigolds, it's the very reason why I grow them....because the slugs detest them.

yeah, they use mustard round here when they have a field fallow, inbetween crops of barley. I think John mentions it in his book as well, as a good thing for planting after a potato crop. I was thinking of looking for some to plant over winter where my potatoes are now. Meantime i'll follow George's advice and plant my tagetes in pots to be moved about as the fancy takes me. one thing i don't have to worry about is slugs, they don't seem to live here, weirdly enough. plenty of whitefly though!

rebecca:-)

Lazy Daisy

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 16:48 »
Spent a rainy day yesterday sowing Calendula 'Marigolds' as a deterant among my veg plot. Now I find out I have planted the wrong ones also, will beu some plantlets later in the month and plant those. The others I will pull out when they start to show their heads.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 18:42 »
I have read that website article.

It is an American article, and relates to the effectiveness of marigolds against nematodes which are present in the US and not the UK.  It also states that in fact the marigolds are susceptible to nemtodes in the UK.

Lazy Daisy, you can always leave your plants where they are - the flowers will at the very least attract pollinating insects.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 18:51 »
Calendula (Pot Marigolds) are great, see my earlier post, I have about 50 seedlings (From saved seed) to get put around my garden (Veg/herb and flower parts) and I always have a few in pots, real summer time flowers.

Bob

Trillium

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 18:58 »
Calendula petals are great in a herbal tea mix, which is mostly what I use them for. made a huge batch a few years ago and have since lost the recipe. :(

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 19:08 »
I have em in Ham and salad sandwiches, roll on summer  :)

Bob

george007

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 19:16 »

It is an American article, and relates to the effectiveness of marigolds against nematodes which are present in the US and not the UK.  It also states that in fact the marigolds are susceptible to nemtodes in the UK.

well as you see then there is not much point in growing it in the ground as a companion plant
at best it would not rid all nematodes anyway.

thats why i grow in pots .

why not somebody find some actual facts themselves
like i would like read what the benefits of growing marigold as a companion in the ground are
myself. i'm all ears.

what other benefits are there other than controlling white fly aphids etc.
which can be grown in a pot.
or growing as a catch crop to help control nematodes.

but if your totally discounting the nematode contol

what else is there

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 19:29 »

well as you see then there is not much point in growing it in the ground as a companion plant

like i would like read what the benefits of growing marigold as a companion in the ground are
myself. i'm all ears.

what else is there
You don't have to water them so much in pots, or lug them about either, both of which are fairly key for me  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 20:13 »

myself. i'm all ears.

what else is there

I personally grow them in the ground to attract the slugs first before the veg, and also to attract beneficial insects to the plot.  There doesnt have to be a nematode aspect, they have other uses, just as other plants have other uses
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 20:16 »
I grow them coz they're pretty ;)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 20:20 »
I grow the cuz the is orange and I like Orange.  I also likes the smell when I pick the eads off of them.   :blink:
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 20:22 »
i know i'm daft (you don't have to tell me) but in the flower border i like to stick to a restrained and hopefully 'tasteful' colour palette. but in the veg garden i love all the bright colours for the bees and butterflies so red and yellow calendula, orange daisies, the ones that open in the sun (can't remember the name) and mixed californian poppies that i wouldn't use elsewhere. :lol:

silly really cos the gardens small and you can see it all at once anyway :wacko:

xx
Marigolds - which way up please?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 21:31
by frazzy
xx
Marigolds?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 19:36
by muntjac
xx
Marigolds

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 06:38
by Growster...
xx
marigolds and beans

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 09:39
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 34 queries.