shitake mushrooms grown from plugs in logs

• 9 Replies

paul_holmes

« on: February 05, 2007, 17:06 »
Has anyone grown shitake mushrooms from plugs? would like to know how things went for you. I have plugs for shitake and oyster mushrooms, and never done it before so any advice would be appreciated..
OOOOOOO me back, it better be worth it....

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:47 »
hi paul
we were hoping you would get lots of advice as we are waiting for shitake oyster and lionsmane plugs to arrive got the tree cut down ready ,havnt a clue what to do with them after there in the tree :(

paul_holmes

shitake mushrooms
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:33 »
hi flatcap
well what i have been told is to drill the holes and insert the plugs and drop wax to cover the holes. then soak the logs for 24 hours at least and then cover in black plasic bags for a while. then leave them in a cool damp and shady area. When the temp changes apparently its shocks the spores into growin. You should get regular crops twice a year for about 3 - 5 years. Sounds all so easy, but thats the info i got and I am gonna stick with it. The more I search for information the more information I get and it becomes a complete overload. Let me know how it goes for you. I got 60 plus plugs and no logs, so not doing too well at the moment, so i shall search for logs this week.

goodluck

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 08:58 »
hi paul
i was just going to put logs in lottie ,hope plugs got instructions with them i tried a button mushroom kit last year it was a dissaster never got a mushroom hope we have betta luck with these ,we hit on lucky for tree oh workmate wanted rid of tree in his garden so we got it ,took over 4 hours to get it down :(

paul_holmes

4hours?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:02 »
blimey , well i hope its all worth it mate. i also have had mush room kits in the past, i kept them in a green house and made sure i gave them a fine mist of water twice and day and kept them covered. These plugs are a different thing all together so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

I am sure your plugs will have instructions, mine do, only they are in czechoslovakian, dont ask. Last time I buy things like that on ebay.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:07 »
our plugs coming from thompson & morgan so with a bit luck instructions will be in english :lol:

Plum

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54 »
Daughter bought use a ready impregnated log last year , as of now not one mushroom. Listening to Gardeners Question time last year they had had logs for several years and just started to get odd one. So hope you have better luck

fish

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 12:49 »
same here with oysre mushroom plugs!not one! :shock:

Annie

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:12 »
Same here,we got initially excited when white stuff began to grow but 4 years on nothing,if anything grew now I wouldn`t know if it was on oyster mushroom or not.

paul_holmes

not looking good
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 11:03 »
oh well i shall give it a go and see what happens. i am wondering whether it would be better just to place them in saw dust and manure? anyone tried that? maybe treat them like spores.

xx
Plugs

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2009, 21:52
by barbarella
xx
Coir plugs

Started by GraciesGran on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 16, 2022, 12:20
by tempest63
xx
Paper logs

Started by Auntie Rain on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 15:09
by Ivor Backache
xx
Lollo Rosso plugs

Started by gsc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 14:59
by gsc

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.