what a rollercoaster!

• 3 Replies

puravida

• Experienced Member
what a rollercoaster!
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:45 »
Amazing what a roller coaster ride growing your own turns out to be! A couple of days ago I was a bit miffed - after all the hard work, the toms look like they have blight, the slugs and snails are just annihalating everything in their path, my peas have practically disappeared etc.

This morning though I noticed I have plenty of mange tout to accompany dinenr tonight, dwarf beans have got a surprisingly good crop ready to eat, toms look a bit better and are fruiting away, coupel of baby courgettes on their way etc etc.

Bonkers.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
what a rollercoaster!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 13:20 »
I know what you mean.  All my brassicas have been eaten by slugs and my tomatoes, beans, beetroot and courgette looked to be a disaster.  The tomatoes and courgettes now seem to be coming to life and I've been eating mange tout for the past fortnight, I'm expecting my French beans to come along in the next month and my potatoes and onions seems to be doing great.  I'm hoping to plant out some dwarf borlotti soon and hopefully they'll get a change to grow before autumn kills them off.  The only thing not doing so well is the roots - carrots and parsnips in particular.  There is just too much rain.  We've been having non-stop rain all winter and this year with the exception of April which was roasting hot.  I've got some cavalo nero and celeriac to plant out this week but I will have to resort to using slug pellets until the plants are well established.

brucesgirl

what a rollercoaster!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 19:34 »
Rollercoaster indeed! Saturday came home happy as larry - had spent most of the day weeding, everything looked lovely and healthy and growing well. Went down Monday evening, found the taters leaves going brown and yellow, walked home despondent!

Ann

what a rollercoaster!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 19:54 »
Our toms looked good on Saturday, tonight we had to get rid of 5 plants as the stems had turned black and the fruit brown  :cry:

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 28 queries.