blight?

• 9 Replies

hurting back

blight?
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:11 »
I share our allotment with my 2 sons. One son and me, our potatoes are doing brilliant. Four feet tall, full of flowers and potatoes, the 2nd son only planted his about 5 weeks ago. Now the leaves are curling up and the tops are going rotten. Is this blight and if so do we have do dig them up to prevent out potatoes going the same way. If it is blight. what causes it as he got his potatoes form the same place as us. they are maincrop
thank you
Josephine

WG.

blight?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13 »
Can you post a picture please?

hurting back

blight?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:14 »
I havent got a piccy at the moment. I will probably go down later today and take one.

WG.

blight?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:15 »
Ok ta

See blight in the Glossary of Terms in the Welcome forum  

All please feel free to vote in the poll & to contribute further terms (with or without definitions) :D

hurting back

re-blight
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 16:41 »
I took some photos but dont know how to get them onto this link. However a lady who has had an allotment over 20 years had a look and said yes it is blight. Apparently everyone down there has got it this year. I checked my potatoes and some of the leaves have got it on them but not as bad as my sons.

WG.

blight?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 17:12 »
It did rather sound like blight, yes, although some folks tend to panic as soon as any spots appear on a leaf.  For future, see http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=630 for instructions on posting pictures.

milkman

blight?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:10 »
I showed the resident expert on our site a sample leaf of my spuds and he has confirmed that they have blight.  As the blight is just on the leaves and hasn't got down the stalks I've followed the advice in my HDRA organic manual and chopped them all off to the ground and cleared away the haulm to the compost heap.  

In a couple of weeks time the skin will have set on the spuds and I'll then dig them up, dry them off and store them as usual.  The only thing I have to try and do between now and then is to mulch them with something to stop any tubers near the surface going green in the light.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

pookey

• Experienced Member
blight?
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16 »
Quote from: "milkman"
I showed the resident expert on our site a sample leaf of my spuds and he has confirmed that they have blight.  As the blight is just on the leaves and hasn't got down the stalks I've followed the advice in my HDRA organic manual and chopped them all off to the ground and cleared away the haulm to the compost heap.  

In a couple of weeks time the skin will have set on the spuds and I'll then dig them up, dry them off and store them as usual.  The only thing I have to try and do between now and then is to mulch them with something to stop any tubers near the surface going green in the light.

i also have blight.  my king edwards are the the worst. the hauulms have keeled over and shrivelled, the brown patches have appeared on my maris pipers and so far, my maris peers look okay.  I read that i should spray the pipers with a copper fungicidal spray?  is this right?   I also thought you shouldnt compost infected haulms as you can spread the disease?

do I dig up all my king edwards as they are not really ready, or do i just cut the haulms off.  What do I do next year to avoid blight?
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

yanfoex

• http://wwwplot32.blogspot.com/
blight?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 22:28 »
Bordeaux mixture is a mix of copper sulphate and slaked lime. It can help prevent blight but won't "cure" it once the plant is infected. My Moulin Rouge has been badly affected - even the Cara is showing signs and this is supposed to have some resistance.

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
blight?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 22:55 »
We have blight down here, so tonight i chopped all the tops off the spuds and collected them into a black sack. I was under the impression  that you shouldnt compost  blighted leaves because the spores just drop into the soil and stay there for some years. My compost is new and not a 'hot' one so i have disposed of them to the council. I hope this is the right thing to do. Its what to do with all the spuds and how to keep them safe and dry..... so to clamp or not to clamp that is the question????
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Help.... Is this blight?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 22:14
by cawdor2001
xx
Blight??????

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 19:39
by Walewein
clip
Blight or something else?

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2019, 05:40
by Small Potatoes

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 37 queries.