herbs what will go with what

• 13 Replies

tooo many seeds

herbs what will go with what
« on: April 29, 2011, 20:07 »
i have some herbs i want to put in a 14 inch round pot its about the same deep.i was thinking 3 in the same pot but not sure about one of them,rosemary basil and oregano.the rosemary is small and the basil but the oregano is 3 times as big do you see any problems planting these together.

aqua

• Experienced Member
Re: herbs what will go with what
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 20:23 »
i think the basil needs more water than the other two. the origano will take over the pot if you don't keep an eye on it

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 23:07 »
Oregano needs its own space!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 23:20 »
Is the rosemary small because it's a young plant or because it's one of the dwarf varieties?

If it's the common type it will at least try and grow into a large bush, and the stems tend to sprawl across the surrounding soil as well as grow upwards.

Don't have much luck with basil grown outdoors and unlike the other two it is a fairly short-lived annual which is much more reliable grown indoors or under cover in summer.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tooo many seeds

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:42 »
Is the rosemary small because it's a young plant or because it's one of the dwarf varieties?

If it's the common type it will at least try and grow into a large bush, and the stems tend to sprawl across the surrounding soil as well as grow upwards.

Don't have much luck with basil grown outdoors and unlike the other two it is a fairly short-lived annual which is much more reliable grown indoors or under cover in summer.
rosemary is not dwarf i dont think just small,ok so i think each of the big 2 will need its own big pot.i pressume both those rosemary and oregano will keep over the winter but basil just dies off.are there any herbs that can be kept together in one pot and wont get tooo big

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:43 »
Thyme, sage and oregano would happily share the same pot because they don't grow that big and like similar well-drained soil and sunny conditions.

They are all perennials, albeit rather short lived (mainly because they tend to become a bit straggly and woody), and the last two can be cut quite drastically during the season to keep them to a manageable size (and of course supply leaves for drying if you so wish.)

Your rosemary would definitely be better off in a pot of its own.  :)

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 21:31 »
JayG, you must have different sage and oregano to me! Both of mine are rampant and do not like pot sharing. They shared in their 1st year but were soon fighting so have been moved to their own large pots and are much happier.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 21:54 »
Jay did say that you needed to
cut quite drastically during the season to keep them to a manageable size

but I agree they will get quite big if left unpruned.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 21:58 »
JayG, you must have different sage and oregano to me! Both of mine are rampant and do not like pot sharing. They shared in their 1st year but were soon fighting so have been moved to their own large pots and are much happier.

Glad to hear that your herbs are happy, but if you had kept them well cropped and in the size of pot suggested they would have had neither the size nor the strength to fight as much as yours apparently did!

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 22:11 »
No need to be rude JayG. They ARE kept well cropped and they were already in a good sized pot.

Clearly we have different experiences with these plants, but please don't post telling everyone that I have/haven't done things just because my plants haven't behaved exactly as yours have. Your comment was complete guesswork (and you guessed wrong!)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 22:18 »
Well for what it's worth, I don't think that JayG's remark was at all rude.  He repeatedly tries to be helpful to all members on here and is always polite and humorous in so doing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 22:23 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 22:25 »
In over 5000 posts I can't remember JayG being rude to anyone ever. Helpfull and informative yes, but rude never.
Cheese makes everything better.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 22:27 »
Thyme and rosemary wd go well together. my experience of oregano (i have about six varieties in my garden is that it spreads width wise which will fill a decent pot in a season.

Or you cd get several types of thyme and put them in together that looks nice

I tend to grow only my cuttings in pots.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 22:35 »
No need to be rude JayG. They ARE kept well cropped and they were already in a good sized pot.

Clearly we have different experiences with these plants, but please don't post telling everyone that I have/haven't done things just because my plants haven't behaved exactly as yours have. Your comment was complete guesswork (and you guessed wrong!)

Operabunny; if I think I know what I'm talking about I offer advice in the hope it might be helpful; if I ever give advice about things I have little or no experience of I always give a "health warning" about it!

My experience of growing herbs seems to have been different from yours!

xx
herbs?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 19:47
by Charl89
thumbdown
Herbs

Started by Coldfeet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 21:50
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Herbs

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 11:13
by JayG
xx
Herbs

Started by Susan K on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 11:12
by Susan K

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 30 queries.