Shed protection/paint.

• 10 Replies

MoreWhisky

Shed protection/paint.
« on: January 05, 2013, 23:48 »
After a nice afternoon on the plot noticed  the shed finlly needs new protection/paint.
So what does everybody think best? im after the best product taking price and ease of use into consideration. My shed has been treated before (dont know what as bought it second hand) with something brown. Had a quick look at usual diy places online and doesnt some of this stuff cost!

Any advice please.

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Shed protection/paint.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:51 »
At a guess my shed is probably around 40 years old and was a very dark brown, which I suspected was due to being treated with a creosote-type preservative.

Most of the shed paints I found were water-based which seemed like very bad news, but luckily the existing treatment was so old and well weathered that the Wickes shed and timber paint I used still managed to stick (better in some places than others but a second coat more or less fixed that.)

Might be an idea to brush on some diluted emulsion paint in an inconspicuous area first to see if it takes or just beads on the surface.

I see that Wickes also do a wax-enriched version which may be more compatible with an oily existing finish if that's what you have, but you'd need to ask someone who knows what they're talking about first...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:55 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:13 »
I love Cuprinol Ducksback. It is such a pleasant product to work with and comes in a range of colours, my choice being Forest Oak, a very dark brown. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 23:46 »

I bought some last year from  Wilko's 5L for 8 pound .

Also Asda had a 10 L  tub for 5.99.

Don't know if they are in stock yet as I haven't looked, or if they would be suitable ,I think there was  quite a few colours to choose from.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50 »
I like the Sadolin and it comes in a range of colours.  My plot neighbour has used Ducksback on his shed and it looks really excellent.  It's been on well over a year and it still looks immaculate

crh75

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 14:53 »
I used Cuprinol Garden Shades (coastal mist I think) on my shed. Expensive but looks great.

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 18:52 »
Garden shades all the way!

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 15:57 »
I love the smell of Stockholm Tar as a creosote substitute (not cheap though, but it can be thinned down with turps and linseed oil as a1:1:1 mix).

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 17:01 »
Another vote for Cuprinol Garden shades - I've got 2 coats on and it seems to be doing the job. Pic on my diary and my plot neighbours like the stripes! (Phew!!)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:22 »
I love the smell of Stockholm Tar as a creosote substitute

I've only ever seen that used in animal husbandry, interesting interpretation................

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 20:28 »
It's what was used to 'seaproof' ropes and mix with oakum for caulkng seams in Nelson's Navy - mind you it dripped onto the decks and got ingrained into the skin whech meant that the decks needed scrubbing every day and it allowed the pressgangs to see exactly who had been just paid off because it would stain the hands black for weeks - hence 'Jack Tar' for a mariner. Still used to treat wooden roofing shingles in Sweden, and when mixed with red oxide used to treat barns etc too. If you're into making your own soap then it can be used to make genuine pine tar soap.

xx
which colour paint????

Started by pennsylvania planters on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 14:02
by prakash_mib
xx
Spray paint on fencing.

Started by Fen on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 09:10
by Fen
xx
stain/paint the fence

Started by bigplantpot on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 12:01
by WG.
xx
Paint marks on recycled wood

Started by greenhut on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 09:35
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 33 queries.