How much of a problem is Asbestos really?

• 10 Replies

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
How much of a problem is Asbestos really?
« on: January 02, 2013, 21:12 »
On my newly inherited allotment plot, there are 3 small corrugated sheets of what me and my dad think is asbestos. It looks like similar stuff is being used on constructions on nearby plots.

How much of a problem is it really (or not) to be used? I have two young kids (5&3) that will be coming up the plot with me a fair bit, so just don't want to put them at risk if there is potential risk from it? I am fairly hopeful council will take it for me as i've not signed for my plot yet, but am i looking a gift horse in the mouth by getting rid of it?
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How much of a problem is Asbestos really?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 21:40 »
I know there are some sheets that are more harmful than others BUT just get rid, is the safest option, specially with kids around.

Better safe than sorry for them ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 21:46 »
As I already wrote on your other post, corrugated white asbestos is relatively safe.

If it is undisturbed and not broken up then you don't need to worry.  If it is broken up, then it needs to be disposed of at some point; but it is not the type which requires asbestos suits etc.  We are simply advised to double bag it and it can then go to the tip.

Yes, I would get rid of it, but I wouldn't let it stop me either taking the plot or letting my children come down to it.  Just don't let them actually play with it.

The word asbestos covers a multitude of types.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 21:56 »
That's what i wasn't sure of Yorkie, if moving it from where it currently is and using it in some way is going to create a problem by actively disturbing it. Or if that is just if it gets broken or fractured in some way, or if it really was ok to use (as think it is the white stuff). I have pretty much decided to just get it gone and be done with it now though but thank you for replying.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 22:08 »
Whilst it is wet and without breaking it up wrap it in polythene sheet and tape it up. Get onto council and see if they have an authorised disposal point for it. It is probably asbestos cement sheet which is about 4% asbestos fibre bonded into a cement matrix so much safer than other forms or products that asbestos occurs in. However it is wrong to say there is no risk - get rid if you can using the approved routes for disposal. There are still hundreds of asbestos cement sheds and garages around but once you are rid you will have no doubts.
R

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 22:56 »
I really would get the council to move it whatever sort it is,they should be made responsible for the plots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Ema

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 00:04 »
They shouldn't have left it there for you without testing it first. I agree it's quite safe on a damp day to take the sheets down carefully and double wrap them check which of your local recycling centres take it they will probably charge which is why I would be more inclined to get them to remove it.

Maison Lammonite

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 21:33 »
Hi,

Its probably OK if left alone and undamaged, but if not needed, I would dispose of it. I would work on a damp day as previously suggested so to minimise any dust & wear gloves, overalls if available & a dust mask. Double bag and take to nearest recycling centre that handles it.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 21:59 »
Thanks for everyone's replies. The council have looked at it, confirmed its asbestos, and agreed to take it away at no cost to me so I'm a happy bunny :)

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 22:13 »
That's good news,if you don't ask,you don't get. I think some of these councils just try it on to see what they can get away with.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:18 »
It's good that the council are disposing of it for you. Whilst it creates no great risk (as others have said) you may have found it difficult to dispose of at a local council amenity tip.

Grey and paticularly blue asbestos are the types that cause the most concern and potential harm... so there's far less risk with the type that was used for sheet roofing unless you work with it over a period of time and inhale the dust.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

exclamation
Help! Broken asbestos concrete sheets

Started by Joan Kennedy on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 09:43
by Yorkie
xx
Waterproofing corrugated asbestos/cement sheets

Started by wendyg on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 20:32
by RichardA
xx
housy cement problem

Started by chrissie B on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 11:07
by chrissie B
xx
Water Butt Problem

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

31 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 08:25
by savbo

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 28 queries.