Flock mix

• 10 Replies

VickyW

• Experienced Member
Flock mix
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:03 »
Hi all, sorry I've not been on for an age but I hope you'll still help me...

I already have 3 girls and on Wed, my 3 year old cousin chose 2 more from a local animal farm park (where 2 others came from), Sausage & Silkie! I know I should have kept them separate for a time but I don't have that facility so I put them in the coop at night in the hope they'd be none the wiser in the morning.

This wasn't quite the case. Next morning Silkie got pinned to the floor and had her comb pecked, I had to rush out for purple spray, all now seems ok-ish but...

When the original 3 are in the run, the new 2 go in the coop so I'm letting the 3 into the garden so the 2 can come out to eat and drink.

Should I keep doing this? Should I shut them all in the run so noone can hide? Should I just leave them to it?

Thanks anyone  ;)

kegs

Re: Flock mix
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:37 »
What size is the run?

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:39 »
A good 20 feet long, about 5 foot wide

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 15:27 »
Hi i have recently mixed in some new chucks i wundered what i had done  :wacko: all hell broke loose but they all settled down exept for 1 who just wouldnt let the new chucks move without a beating up so removed her from the flock and all got on great, i kept her seperate for a week when i reintrojuced her all was fine  :blink: iare all your chucks the same size ?
Chicken crazy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 16:22 »
Have more than one feeding and drinking station which should help the newbies have a chance without too much bullying.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 21:38 »
Thanks, the new ones are older than my originals, they've already had their first season of laying, 2 of my originals had only just started before the winter, and the biggest bully doesn't lay at all yet, she's a Wyandotte so fairly big.
My new ones are a Warren & I think a Black Rock.

I chucked the originals into the garden again this afternoon to let the new ones get out the coop, they won't come out themselves, then I let the others back in gradually, leaving the Wyandotte till last, she was going mad strutting up and down the outside of the run but went in quite happily when I let her, she's the one I'd have to seperate, but not sure if I can, practically. Maybe letting her slep in the coop but have the daytime in a separate run?
Not possible to do till Sun though as OH on shift  :(

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:01 »
Hi she is just showing the others whoes boss, because she is a bigger breed gives her more confidence they should settle down or you will have to seperate her compleatly for at least a week then when she returnes the others will treat her as the newbe, unfortuanatly sometimes you do get a bully bird, if after trying everything els she still doesnt accept the new chucks then you may have to sell her  :ohmy: but they usualy all settle down in the end  :blink:

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16 »
I've just been out with them for an hour, again Silkie & Sausage were in the coop so I put the others in the garden and lifted them out, they went straight for the water (OH had put pellets in the coop)
I gradually let the others back in, keeping the coop door shut and it was the legbar that pinned Silkie to the floor, I tugged her tail feathers  :lol:
There's now another food and water station, which the 3 have taken to! and when Silkie went to use the normal feeder the legbar (Cadbury) went to chase but didn't attack.

I've left them to it now, will check later. Am I doing it right though?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 13:06 »
yes, have several feeding stations and drinking stations plus also have several hiding places and they will be fine  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 22:49 »
So, coming up to nearly 2 weeks in and the severity of the bullying to gain pecking order has subsided though not disappeared. I have a second water and food station which seems to have worked.
The new ones now spend time outside in the run but there's still 2 clear camps and Cadbury my Cream Legbar is the bully chick!

I just thought I'd keep you updated, I'm past the feeling of thinking "WHAT HAVE I DONE???" But still can't wait till they're all friends

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 20:59 »
Glad they're all settling in.  You will find the pecking order changes at different times, especially if some are molting and others aren't.  You will find the victim becomes the bully and vice versa.

xx
Shall I add to my flock????

Started by Carla on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 18:30
by Carla
xx
Age to add to flock

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 21:20
by ANHBUC
xx
Disease in flock

Started by KJ on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 16:30
by Jellyhead
xx
Mixed flock

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:37
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 29 queries.