Manuring...?

• 19 Replies

DATA311

Re: Manuring...?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:13 »
Ok so they eat hay...... :blush:
But do we really know what we are eating, in regards of processed/fresh produce when the farmers have little choice but to put back into the fields............?
Or they would incur high charges for it's safe? disposal........
Nil illegitimi Carborundum

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28 »
We're talking about manure here.

Have a look at this thread where someone had major problems when sourced from a local friendly stable.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=76047.0

This is what I'm trying to warn about.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DATA311

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44 »
Thanks for the link DD.
IF for arguments sake should you inadvertantly introduce this Aminopyralid, do we know if it has long term effects on the infected land........?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49 »
It is said to break up on contact with soil microbes over a couple of years, I think.

Lots of digging it in over a season or two, and the plot should be OK thereafter.  According to the manufacturer, that is; I've not heard anything to the contrary.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 18:34 »
Thanks for the link DD.
IF for arguments sake should you inadvertantly introduce this Aminopyralid, do we know if it has long term effects on the infected land........?
Aminopyralid persists in organic material. So the land needs to be fallowed, and turned several times during the season (rotavated will do) to help get the organic material broken down without new organic material being added.

Nightmare.

Personally I think that "small riding stables" are likely to be amongst the most likely, albeit unwitting, sources:

They usually have to buy hay in. It may come from multiple sources. They are probably not well aware of the problem for gardeners - it won't affect their animals.

If they do have their own pasture they are more likely to use contractors to treat it, rather than having workers trained to "approved standards" to be able to spray chemicals. Contractors may fail to adequately alert the stable owners to the exact requirements / risks of  the chemicals use.

xx
Manuring how often?

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 12:31
by greenhead
xx
manuring bed

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 12:14
by noshed
xx
manuring?

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 22:00
by Yorkie
xx
manuring

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 21:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 29 queries.