stopping weed come back after slingle digging plot

• 9 Replies

cornwallguys

Hello I am new to allotments, and have a 30 x 40 ft plot which I have first skimmed off the top of meadow grass type weeds.  I have now (single) dug over the soil so its nice and loose, doubt if its been turned for years.  Now its got a ploughed field look.
I have removed all green weeds with the skimming off, however, the soil still has weed roots in, and I would be forever taking out ever bit by hand.
I have weed control material, and am aware of its use, however on the uncovered soil where I intend to plant veg and flower seedlings first raised in the green house, can anyone suggest something I can put on soil to stop me having to be down there weekly weeding?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Andy

m1ckz

Re: stopping weed come back after slingle digging plot
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:32 »
no sorry :D

Swing Swang

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51 »
Mulch

gillian62

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:43 »
I have covered any area that I am not using with carpet etc.

But as soon as it is uncovered and dug up the weeds start.

My only suggestion is to keep weeding, not allowing them to get too big.  That is how I have done it this year.

And any area that I started on last year has certainly been easier to maintain this year as I got rid of the bulk of the weeds then.  I have just had the annuals to fight mostly this year.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:00 »
Welcome to the site - you really need to get rid of as many of the weed roots as you can - just take it a bit at a time. Then plant your crops far enough apart so that you can hoe between the rows when required. There is some really good information on clearing new ground in the "Growing help" area of the site along with lots of other advice. Link below.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:01 »
Weeds are an inevitability so you have to get used to systematic weeding.  Certainly use sheet mulch to keep uncultivated areas free of weeds til you get round to planting them as it certainly works.

If you think about it, your plot soil is living and weeds are just proof of that. If nothing grew in it you'd be more worried

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:19 »
Hello I am new to allotments.........
                   ........can anyone suggest something I can put on soil to stop me having to be down there weekly weeding?

Andy

As others have said: "Nope"

When it's dry only a few weeds grow and everything needs watering.
When it rains and there's no need to water - everything grows along with many more weeds!

The only way to keep a plot clean is to hoe and then hoe and keep hoeing. A little and often is probably the easiest way to stop them getting too big. Caught early weeds can be kept easily under control. Leave them and they spread seed and you are back to thorough digging to remove them.

Mulches can help - cover areas with mown grass clippings.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

cornwallguys

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:06 »
Thank you very much everyone for your informative replies.
Will just keep weeding, around the stuff I plant.
I have plenty of black weed control material type stuff on a roll, which is a material, rather than plastic, that still lets the soil breathe, and lets water in.
So guess that's the way forward.
Thanks again everyone.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09 »
can anyone suggest something I can put on soil to stop me having to be down there weekly weeding?

It would all be so much easier if there were  ;)
Either spend a lot of time digging out as many roots as you can, spend a lot of time hoing/pulling out regrowth or spend a lot of money on weed control fabric.

I chose the first option because I have more time than money  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 18:17 »
If you have plenty of weed suppressing fabric then plant through that will help control the weeds.  (i.e. don't just use it to cover uncultivated ground).

However, I echo the advice of others ... spending more time getting rid of every last weed root pays huge dividends.

Going forwards don't let weeds set seed - as the saying goes "One year's seed = 7 year's weed" as plenty of the weed seed will remain, un-germinated, in the soil for up to 7 years.

Make sure any weed that does come up is removed within 7 days - this is the "never let it see a Sunday" approach. Doing this weakens the weed, so if it is a pernicious weed it will, over time, become weakened until it dies.  Weeds have amazing tenacity, and if left a few weeks will have managed to store enough energy to come back with renewed vigour :(

To put it into perspective: I am not good at growing "by the book", I often don't have time when time is needed.  My veg patch grows very few weeds. They are easily managed. But I did have a very strict regime for the first few years, and that now pays dividends.

xx
Advice needed re: digging over weed area and manuring

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 07:43
by Yabba
xx
Back Pain/Digging/Warming Up Exercices

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 10:07
by DD.
xx
Stopping couch encroaching from neighbouring plot

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 09, 2023, 09:21
by rowlandwells
xx
anyone found a good way of stopping cats messing on the plot (and gravel drive)

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2014, 13:29
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 30 queries.