Alderman Peas

• 8 Replies

Chicken Pete

Alderman Peas
« on: May 21, 2012, 20:04 »
Could you help me with this subject.
Am growing these for the first time but am concerned as they apparently grow to 6 foot in length, how do you keep the pea flower,peas safe from the pigeons and other animals?
Your input would be appreciated
Thank you.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: Alderman Peas
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 21:06 »
I grow Champion of England, which is also a 6 footer. No problems with pigeons because I think they need to land on something solid before they can peck at it.  So once the peas get above 12" off the ground they are probably safe(ish)

Pea Moth weevil  is a different critter altogether :mad: You need either a very very small shotgun or Napalm....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 21:07 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 21:08 »
I pegged some old net curtains to the tops of the canes to stop the sparrers pecking at mine  :nowink:

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 21:25 »
I grew Alderman peas last year for the first time, and they were wonderful, both iflavourwise and yield.not on pigeon and no other dastardly demons......
Thinking of the Days

Chicken Pete

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 19:38 »
Thanks for your replies,I look forward to growing the peas and harvesting them with more confidence. :)  Do you grow then up pea netting or bamboo canes with pea netting stretched across? Or is there another way of encouraging the growth up to 6 ft?
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 19:47 »
I grew them up one side of my runner bean frame, just tied some placcy pea netting to the canes :) I did have to tie in some wayward plants that wanted to hang away from the frame though  ;)

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 20:25 »
I am growing Champion of England.  I have (or I should say MrB has) built a wooden frame in the shape of an inverted v at each end, and we have stretched chicken wire over the top and down each side.

The biggest predator on our site is mice, so I grow them in modules and plant out.  I don't grow peas on an industrial scale so it's feasible to do this for me.  It's also why I prefer to grow tall peas as you are supposed to get more peas per square foot than shorter varieties.

The bird don't seem to bother them on our site, despite having resident pigeons and crows.  I did have one plant that was chewed off at the stem after planting - and whatever did it didn't like the  taste as the top was left behind.  Amazingly this one has re-sprouted.  Hoping for lots of growth now some warm weather has arrived.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 23:01 »
I did Alderman this year and last. I use 8 foot canes with pea netting. I also use lines of string (a la DD) at intervals to keep them close to the netting, because there's always some that try to wander off and you have to keep them in check or you end up with complete chaos.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 19:15 »
Thank you all for your input,it looks like it will be a challenge but looking forward to it now that I have taken on board your advice.
Cheers

xx
The Alderman peas...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2022, 18:22
by Growster...
xx
Alderman peas

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 12:36
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Alderman peas

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
Alderman peas and Climbing beans

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 21:58
by Dora5

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 33 queries.