The Alderman peas...

• 15 Replies

Growster...

The Alderman peas...
« on: March 15, 2022, 06:01 »
I'm growing them this year, as I want to use an enclosed (by low hedge and low wall) area with canes and/or similar, to get them high up. Runners and French beans liked growing there a couple of years ago.

I'm considering some short rows of 6'0" canes as they can get up to 5'0" according to the packet, but the area is roughly 8'0" x 5'0", so maybe a couple or three tripods could be the answer!

Any ideas anyone please?

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: The Alderman peas...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 06:35 »
we have grown alderman for a few years now they get to more than 6 ft tall and very heavy croppers so much so that we do not bother with any others i think wigwam is good but maybe string horizontal between canes at bottom half they seem to do well with something for the tendrils to wrap around  we also found them very hardy surviving last years early frost [premier 350 seeds for a pound]  good luck.
from bow like to grow

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 08:00 »
Thank you Steven - that was quick!

I like the idea of some string near the bottom, as I assume that once they get something to grab on to, they can start to climb amongst themselves on a wigwam!

Your crops sound great, so it's definitely going to be something for this rather odd little bit of ground! It's in fact the old compost heap, so the soil is the best we have anywhere at home, and as the frame is by a busy footpath, I want to at least try and make it look attractive!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 08:02 »
Yes, they do need some netting, or lots of horizontal string, to cling to as they don't twist round the canes like beans do.
I often do 2 wigwams, side by side and then run netting around one and then across and round the other one (2 wigwams being more stable than a row of canes, if it gets windy)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 08:49 »
Yes, they do need some netting, or lots of horizontal string, to cling to as they don't twist round the canes like beans do.
I often do 2 wigwams, side by side and then run netting around one and then across and round the other one (2 wigwams being more stable than a row of canes, if it gets windy)

Nice idea that Mum, thank you!

I was wondering about some pea net this year too!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 19:51 »
OOOOps  :(

Cant remember reading they grow 6ft  :ohmy:

I normally grow hurst greenshaft but fancied a change, need to rethink this :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 21:52 »
They've hit 8ft for me before. I've just been using them for pea shoots this year to use up the seed, got some dwarf earliest this year for actual peas. Not had the best germination though

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 07:13 »
I've built a crescent row around the two short sides of the bed, and draped a pea net around it all...

So what's happened is a hybrid of everyone's ideas - thank you!

I'm always loathe to cut nets when they might need to be longer one day, but guess that if I don't, the peas will get all tangled up in the spare bit anyway, so that'll have to happen!

(Apols for the pic, they always seem to do that when I post here...:0~...)
DSCN9335.JPG
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 07:14 by Growster... »

jambop

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 19:25 »
I'm growing them this year, as I want to use an enclosed (by low hedge and low wall) area with canes and/or similar, to get them high up. Runners and French beans liked growing there a couple of years ago.

I'm considering some short rows of 6'0" canes as they can get up to 5'0" according to the packet, but the area is roughly 8'0" x 5'0", so maybe a couple or three tripods could be the answer!

Any ideas anyone please?
I grew them last year... you need a step ladder to pick them... productive though§

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 19:16 »
we have grew Alderman peas in the past but found them a bit of a pain trying to keep the pigeons at bay so we went back to growing Hurst green shaft and Kelvedon Wonder growing these varieties gives us more chance of netting the pea crops against pests and last year was very good year for our pea harvest

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 05:43 »
we have grew Alderman peas in the past but found them a bit of a pain trying to keep the pigeons at bay so we went back to growing Hurst green shaft and Kelvedon Wonder growing these varieties gives us more chance of netting the pea crops against pests and last year was very good year for our pea harvest

Good point, Rowland!

Our resident pigeons may well have a go, so I've plenty of decent nets if necessary - and a step-ladder to get up there...!

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 05:48 »
They're now over 6'0" and the flowers are at the top, so do I pinch out the tips to get something going lower down?

I've made two sowings, and the second lot is about a foot high, and planted next to the first lot so they will hopefully get up nice and cosy with the others...

Could be fun!

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 07:08 »
ours are 6ft plus as you say most flowers at the top i hadnt thought of pinching out before and they do end up top heavy but on the plus side loads of peas   good luck.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 09:49 »
They're now over 6'0" and the flowers are at the top, so do I pinch out the tips to get something going lower down?
Make a note to yourself to pinch the tops out when they're smaller  :D Too late now, I'm afraid..

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 17:21 »
that's very interesting to note how well your Alderman peas are growing obviously you haven't got a pigeon problem like us we have two good long rows of Kelvedon and Hurst peas  both rows are netted netted so no pigeon damage

xx
Alderman peas

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
Alderman Peas

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 19:15
by Chicken Pete
xx
Alderman peas

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 12:36
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Alderman peas and Climbing beans

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 21:58
by Dora5

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 52 queries.