cabbage problem

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

cabbage problem
« on: June 01, 2022, 19:44 »
 as we bench grow mainly all our veg seed including brassicas  we planted out our cabbage plants good strong plants pot grown doing well then we noticed the leaves where turning yellow and although we had planted 3 raised beds all netted but not environment mesh on closer inspection it looked like aphid infestation so sprayed the plants with Bug Killer on all the 3 beds that where infested

we have infestation on a late  kale crop last year and then composted the crop it was  also on the the sprouts but after spraying the sprouts with a garlic spray mixture my own mix it seemed to get rid of the aphids but I've never had aphids on early brassicas before they only seem to come later on in the growing season ?

so to deter  these pests is spraying the best way a residue spray would be best me thinks  ? or invest in environment mesh but  if  needs be I mite have to possibly try my old method of a mix of a garlic spray unless anyone can give me some sound advise about getting rid of those damn aphids

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: cabbage problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 06:35 »
Depending on quantity (of cabbages), would submerging the plants in mild soapy water for a short time work?  You could also hire some ladybirds!
Problem with sprays, even garlic, is that it may also deplete any natural predator populations.

rowlandwells

Re: cabbage problem
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 17:13 »
actually the plats where perfect when they where planted the infestation came after plantings when the plants started to grow so it looks like spraying will be the norm at it looks like its going to be trial and error with available sprays to see what performs the best including my own garlic spray

xx
cabbage problem?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 16, 2020, 07:30
by rowlandwells
clip
Problem with hispi cabbage

Started by Hitman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 10:15
by compostqueen
xx
Cabbage Seeds - Problem!!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 09:53
by freefolk
xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.