Introducing Hens Q?

• 8 Replies

iwantanallotment

Introducing Hens Q?
« on: August 12, 2009, 23:00 »
Hello all, hope I can pick your brains for a sec.

Finally next week I'm getting my pol hens, after years waiting.
The new arrivals are mostly coming from one farm, a variety of breeds (9 hens total, & maybe a banty cockerel) who have grown & foraged alongside each other.
However I wanted a couple of Welsummers too, and these will be from a different farm. I don't know if they've been segregated or allowed to mingle.

I've never bought separately and had to introduce hens before - which way around would be best?
1. Collect the 2 Welsummers on Friday & the 9 others on Saturday or
2. Collect the 9 first and the Welsummers next day?

I have no facilities to keep them apart & slowly familiarise, they're in at the deep end.

Obviously I want it to be as stress-free as poss for them all.
Maybe a day won't cause any probs, ie territorial, but just want to check?  :)

Thanks!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Introducing Hens Q?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 23:18 »
Hi there< congrats on gettings hens!  :D if you are bringing 2 lots of hens into a new environment then i would put them all in together on the same day! that way no hen has been able to claim the territory for herself and so reducing alot of arguements! if you arent able to collect both lots on the same day i would go with getting the smaller number of hens 1st as the larger group will be able to stick up for themselves better!
hope that makes sense as it is now rather late!  :blink:
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 23:21 »
It makes loads of sense Debbie and is just what I was thinking myself, but thought I'd better check with you lot who know  :)

Thank you very much, I might actually sleep tonight now!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:36 »
It is often better to introduce them after bedtime as they are too dopey to scrap. Apparently they are then used to each others scent by morning and are more likely to accept them as part of the flock.

Good luck and congratulations :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 23:55 »
You maybe ok as they are all new, though it's not an ideal scenario.  Let us know how you got on once the feathers stop flying.

Best of luck
Truth through science.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:15 »
Thanks hillfooter & sassy.

The Welsummers fell through, so I had 2 White Stars and a Columbine instead. All very, very docile. The Columbine is a rascal but soooo funny. She's teaching the White Stars naughty ways already, when she ain't burying them in dirt! But already loves to be picked up and have a cuddle and a chat. Love her to bits & only got them today!  :)

The others will be arriving on Saturday I hope, and I'll pop them in after dusk.

Considering how laid back these three are, and that they have no time to become territorial, fingers crossed there won't be any problems  :)

Tomorrow will be spent building Alcatraz - Columbine found out how to escape & passed it on - found 2 on top of the greenhouse earlier and another on top of an erected tent - the Columbine nutter  :D

BUT........I've got hens again, and it's lovely  :)

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:47 »

hi iwantanallotment, would love to see piccies of your new girls  :D have you got names for them all ???

iwantanallotment

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 23:08 »
Hi Sue. Yes  :blush:
Buttercup, Daisy & Rose. Rose is the bossy White Star, named after a bossy aunt I had. ssshhhhh

Fetching another 6 tomorrow, bit wary  :unsure:

I'll post some pics soon  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 23:10 by iwantanallotment »

iwantanallotment

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 22:00 »
Wow, it all went brilliantly! I'm amazed  :ohmy:

First of all I got 3 Speckleds and mentioned to the lady how I'd set my heart on Welsummers. As it happened she had some - not quite pure at 7/8 Welsummer, 1/8 Barnevelder. And only 6 weeks old, but I had to have them!

So naturally, I haven't mixed those in with the big girls, they've been in the run in a big dog cage all day and are now in the kitchen overnight. But at least they won't be strangers to the rest when big enough to mix, and vice versa.

The 3 Speckleds I put right in the run, separated by mesh from the first 3 hens. Left them there a couple of hours & watched, nothing doing so I removed the mesh - nothing happened!
One of the White Stars gave a Speckled a quick peck on the neck and that was it - they all then ignored each other and are now tucked up in bed together.

I am so relieved, after seeing my friend's troubles when he brought in 2 young pullets.

Many thanks for the advice  :)

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens

Started by Trackfrower on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
Introducing new hens.

Started by Axe Victim on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 14:06
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 35 queries.