Now what? please advise on next moves.

• 6 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Now what? please advise on next moves.
« on: August 15, 2009, 14:44 »
The chicks are now 10 days old and living in their own chick house and run with mum. What do I do next? Do I separate them from mum at some stage and put her back in the laying flock? At what age can the chicks join the laying flock?

They are fabulous little creatures, I'm wasting hours watching them. And so fast!! one of them caught a huge fly as it flew past, very impressive. And they can do little bits of flying themselves.

They have a sort of double back toe - is this a breed specific thing? None of my hens have it but their dad is a Dorking.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
Re: Now what? please advise on next moves.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 17:26 »
I would say just keep an eye on mum, if she gets distressed then they need to go out with the others. I would say that it is a little too early yet and to keep them seperate but with mum in plain view of the other birds. Mum will protect them as best as she can. We let ours out at about 4 weeks old for an hour or two at a time will we were with them to make sure they were ok for about a week, after that we took the plunge and let them get on with it but making sure they had somewhere to hide if they got picked on.

Have no idea about the back toe thing tho! :)
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 17:41 »
Hi! dont know about introductions with a broody and chicks to the flock but i can tell you that dorkings do have 5 toes rather than the usual 4 the extra 1 being long and pointing up on the back of the leg just above the usual back short toe!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 17:53 »
I let my first broody and chicks out with the other hens after two weeks (after spending the first two weeks in view of the others) and the second broody and chicks when she wanted which in her case was a couple of days (mind you she is joint top chuck with her best mate) and mine all free range with plenty of places for them to go. Had no problems at all - although I did keep an eye out morning and tea time though as we are on a crow flight path at those times. I dare say though that other people on here will say that is wrong but it worked for me  :D.
Can't help with the toe thing though sorry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 20:53 »
I would say it depends on what breeds of chickens you have, some are more docile than others, when I put new chicks outside (I don't use broodys very often) I put them in enclosed pens until they are at least 8 weeks old and a decent size, even then they can be attacked by crows, magpies, hawks etc, I got around this by putting chicks with an adult cockerel usually Large Buff Orpington, who protects them.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 21:21 »
Thanks everyone.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 22:17 »
Hi, I keep broodies and chicks enclosed but in full view for a couple of weeks but always let them out if i'm around. However this week Broody and chicks got out somehow,when i got to the garden one of the chicks was being attacked by 2 hybrids, i was just in time otherwise it was curtains :( I always think mum knows best but she was hysterical and couldn't help her baby. Luckily its ok :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice
xx
Advise please

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:19
by ANHBUC
xx
Advise Please

Started by parson on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 20:04
by nerdle
xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 10:16
by Foxy

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 38 queries.