Worried the jalapenos were not hot

• 9 Replies

Beetroot queen

« on: September 17, 2008, 20:58 »
So we got hubby to munch on one, he stuck it in whole and oh my god the face on him it was almost instant  :bounce:

I have been told they are not just hot they are b****y hot LOL

I am so pleased they have a bit of a kick in them  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 21:00 »
:lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 21:02 »
He still has watery eyes when I mention that J word LOL :lol:

I might have to tell my dad he can try the first one and see what reaction I get from him, the kids were rolling on the floor laughing.

He downed a full pint of milk to try and help but it didnt LOL  :lol:

Fat Hen

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 18:43 »
Are you sure you gave hime a Jal and not a Naga Morich.  :lol:  I've never really noticed any heat in a Jal :cry:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 18:46 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
Are you sure you gave hime a Jal and not a Naga Morich.  :lol:  I've never really noticed any heat in a Jal :cry:

It was labelled as a jalapeno when we got it at the start of the summer and matches all the pics on wilkapedia  :lol: he looked at the plate very carefully when I dished up his dinner LOL  :shock:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 18:55 »
I dropped a mixed bunch of seedlings at the beginning of the season. I have quite a few fruits and I thought I would try one. I was a bit worried so I sliced one in half and just touched my finger to the juice and put that on my tongue. What a fire! I had to run to get a drink of water and on the way made the mistake of wiping my eye. I am now looking for volunteers to try the other plants. I know some are Jalapenos.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

lincspoacher

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 20:03 »
Ok i got a chilli plant off a guy on Ebay - his ability to send a 3 inch plant through the post and it remained unscathed by the Royal Mail Parcel  Destruction System was a tribute to ingenious packaging. However, it grew very nicely and is two foot high and two foot wide:

The plant was advertised as 'Hungarian Fatili Chilli' . Now im no stranger to fiery food - when i was 18 the only Indian Restaurant in Lincoln made several attempts to make a curry too hot and failed everytime, but as Ive matured i dont indulge in such youthful foolishness, however, i have a good sense of whats hot and whats not hot. I sliced one fruit open to look inside, i touched the inside surface with the tip of my little finger, and then brushed my tongue, and the inside of my mouth and tongue burned for nearly an hour!!! Just from that tiny contact!

The fruits are about 3 inches long, very firm, and start yellow, turning green. None have gone red yet. Notice the plant is still flowering (tiny white downward facing flowerheads) and producing fruiting buds.

Now, whats the best way to deal with them to get viable seeds? Just extract seeds, dry and store? And whats the best time to start the seeds in the greenhouse for next year?

Fat Hen

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 22:11 »
Eeh :D   Fatali are beautiful  (don't know about the Hungarian bit though :?: ).  

Stick a pod in a bottle of vodka and leave for a couple of weeks 8) .

Yes let them ripen to yellow and remove seeds and dry.  

Start late Jan, early feb (earlier if you have lights) in preferably heated propagator.  Or stick unheated one in airing cupboard (next to boiler) if you've got one.  Anycase need to keep warm (around 25 C, and may take a long time to germinate).

Pot on as necessary.  Put in greenhouse when last frosts have gone.  I put mine out into GH at easter this yr ( I use one of those parasene heaters), you'll need to keep temps above 10/12 C.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 22:29 »
Probably as Hungarian as African malaria is. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Probably as Hungarian as African malaria is. :lol:
And you would know Gobs. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Jalapenos ????

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2014, 20:12
by Steveharford
xx
Jalapenos

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 21:02
by Fat Hen
xx
jalapenos

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 18:18
by Steveharford
xx
Potting size for Jalapenos

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 11:21
by rich24uk

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 32 queries.