Growing squash vertically

• 12 Replies

Lardman

Growing squash vertically
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:59 »
Progress so far... I have noticed a couple of things :

Some are better at climbing than others (regardless of what the packet says).   :nowink: Spaghetti seem to be the best at it.
To get them started I had to tie the leaders with string as the trellis starts 1ft from ground level.
They really do need 3ft between plants, I've planted every 18" and it's far too close.
I've built 1ft square trellis with 1½ inch wood, it would have been easier for them to climb with a smaller gap and thinner wood. (I've used string to sort that)

If anyone is pushed for space I'd certainly recommend it,  I just need to sort of supporting the squash now.
vertical_squash.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing squash vertically
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:15 »
Looking good  :D
Their tendrils like the stiff clematis netting ;)

Look at this for a frame. (at 2mins)............it looks as if they are growing on the flat at first  :D (sorry it's in Italian) It's Tromba d'Albegna the one I grow upwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gL39OPDVHo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 21:39 by mumofstig »

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22 »
Growing Pumpkin (Baby Bear) up a wigwam of canes. The main leader is being trained up the wigwam, but the side vines are finding their way across the bed they are on.

So it has kept most of the growth off the bed so I can use it for other things but towards the end of the growing season the Pumpkin is taking over redundant space as things are harvested. A good way to keep the weeds down as the beds become free of veggies.

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:33 »
I really must try this, it seems to me that not only is it a better use of space, but there must be less likelihood of them getting mildew with the better air flow around them. :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:35 »
This is on my to do list for next year. Looks good lardman  :)

madcat

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:39 »
We grow utchi kutchi (Uchiki Kuri) squash up sheep wire fences very successfully.  The wire has a supporting cane threaded through the top and posts (of a sort) every 3 foot.  They do have to be 'turned round' when they get to the end of the fence or they would keep going into mid air and block the path.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:18 »
I grow loads of GemSquash and my hubbards along my perimeter  fence and they go crazy climbing all over it.

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 11:06 »
 :)I thought I would give this a go in my back garden. Plants grew nicely....leaves seemed a little on the large side but hey ho. I continue to nurture them and they've turned into PUMPKINS. :ohmy: It must be my magic fairy powers!

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:14 »
I grow loads of GemSquash and my hubbards along my perimeter  fence and they go crazy climbing all over it.

Funny you should mention gem squash Gavin, There are a couple in that mess but they're not doing very well  :( Im not sure if the spaghetti are just too aggressive.

I think next year I might put some chicken wire over the trellis although I'm trying not to make the garden look too utilitarian.  ::)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:06 »
I've never thought about doing this before.

Space is a bit of a premium for me , but I trail and direct the squashes around the paths and other plants and just watch where I step!! :lol:

Growing 'Honey Bear' (not sure how big these get - I think they are small squashes) and spaghetti squash - although 1 plant is producing big green squashes and has a compact (if large) growth pattern, and the other is a white-ish squash with a trailing habit...

...mixed seeds in the pack maybe??  ???

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 12:09 »

I've just pounded in an ex- 'house for sale' pole up which to grow the courgettes.  They tiying in but it keeps 'em clean.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 15:21 »
I love Honey Bear and also grow them... 2 per station and 2 1/2' apart through weed fabric.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 19:36 »
I always grow my Uchiki Kuri that way and they love it. I've got an old narrow tree trunk in my garden with stock wiring around it, was originally use for clematis, but every year I grow my UK on it. I think it puts their head in the sun, which they love, and keeps the fruit away from wet ground and slugs. I treat the trunk like a square and put one plant on each side of the square and they happily clamber over each other. Got loads of fruit on them this year, some already big and lots of smaller ones growing on too. Because UKs are not too big, I don't find they need supporting either.

xx
Growing squashes vertically!

Started by beki on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 07:01
by tomato-joy
xx
Growing Squash

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 13:47
by lacewing
xx
Growing squash

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 17:34
by Snowboar
xx
Growing Squash

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 09:19
by Elcie

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 37 queries.