Stoats

• 6 Replies

Prod

Stoats
« on: February 14, 2013, 17:51 »
Tonight when I went to check the girls were in their coop there was a stoat/weasel that was quite happily running around outside and around the field.  Should I be worried???
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 18:15 by Prod »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Stoats
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 18:33 »
They probably won't bother larger bird, but if you have bantams or youngsters they might attack. They might also try to steal eggs.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 18:45 »
My girls are mainly purebreds, Cream Legbar, Ancona   that sort of size, plus a Welsummer Cockerel.  Would thay take eggs during the day from the coop as I have posted recently about low number of eggs being found? Though I have not found any evidence of eggshells etc?

UPDATE  I have just been browsing various information sites and the concensus is that, provided they arent taking/killing my hens, (and they are unlikely to attack a fully grown bird) then they could be beneficial as they will reduce/remove any mice or rats (I have never seen any around).  Apparently it is unusual to see a stoat during the day, this was about 5pm this evening and, even after it saw me, it was running around quite close to me.  Im really not sure what to do now.  I was about to order some traps (humane of course, I couldnt kill them) but am not sure now.....  Any suggestions?  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 19:54 by Prod »

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:21 »
Well if you purchase a humane trap such as this

how and where will you plan to release any you catch? You can't just release them anywhere... A pest controller might be a better option.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31 »
Thanks for your reply I dont see the point of a humane trap if you are not going to release them.  I live in an extremely rural location so, if I did use such a trap, I would just take them a couple of miles away and release them in another field.

At the moment I am trying to evaluate if they are something I should be worried about as I have read conflicting advice..... :unsure: :unsure:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:35 »
Thanks for your reply I dont see the point of a humane trap if you are not going to release them.  I live in an extremely rural location so, if I did use such a trap, I would just take them a couple of miles away and release them in another field.

I totally agree, my circumstances are similar, but just be aware of the law on that sort of matter, I'm not sure off the top of my head which animals you would not be allowed to release.

:)

Prod

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55 »
I bought & put out a couple of 'Big Cheese'  traps (got a good deal on Ebay - 2 for price of 1)  Put them out with some dog food in............   caught a Dunnock!!!!  God knows why it went in  but was happy enough when I let it go....  I ll set them again tonight :wub: :wub:

angry
stoats!!!

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 17:49
by purplebat
xx
Stoats and Arks

Started by marygall on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 00:02
by marygall
xx
Stoats,weasels.

Started by arthur cooke on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 20:25
by arthur cooke
xx
stoats or weasel spotted...

Started by hennyandpenny on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 06:15
by Oakdalebirds1

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.