Rainwater harvesting

• 12 Replies

Browser

• Experienced Member
Rainwater harvesting
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:48 »
Hi, we've just taken over an allotment on an established and well run site, which has fresh water taps stratgically placed so they're easy to get to. I would, however, like to collect rainwater to water our plot as we do so at home and I want to be as 'green' as possible with water use :D We're not allowed a shed on our plot as part of the tennancy agreement, so does anyone have any ideas of how to harvest rainwater, other than just having an open-head drum and hoping some rain goes into it?
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

Trillium

Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 22:13 »

Browser

• Experienced Member
Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09 »
Ta! :D

Stuffe

Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 17:05 »
Not allowed a shed?  How....strange!

We aren't allowed to use hoses for watering, but can happily top up our butts with them.  With only 2 taps for the whole site it's one heck of a stretch, but with a bit of luck we will only need to do it a couple of times a year.

For those who are not allowed sheds and can't collect that way, you could rig up a cheap (mine was £6 from Asda I think) plastic Gazebo, and butcher it a bit to have the roof hung upside down, with a drain hole into a butt.  I haven't done this but it would seem to me to give at least as much surface area as a shed, if not more.  As a bonus, you can fix the gazebo and dig in the shade in the hot summer months!

For best results, you might like to link multiple butts together to get maximum collection in the rainy months.  Old bins would work too.  I think it's more important to work out how you are going to store your water, than how you are going to collect it - there's plenty of it at the right times of year, but if you are limited to one butt then a week of sun and you could easily run dry.

Browser

• Experienced Member
Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:01 »
Yes, no sheds, it's a bummer at times but we can see our allotment as it's just accross the local playing field from our house so it's not too bad. I don't know whether they've actually ever had sheds and had anybody break in or whether they're just erring on the side of caution, does keep the 'visual imact' low though :D
What's more of a bummer is that we have storage for 700litres of rainwater at home, fed directly from the guttering downpipe, and it's toppers at the moment. If it was lighter to shift we'd be taking it with us :?  :)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 14:16 »
Quote from: "Browser"
Yes, no sheds, it's a bummer at times but we can see our allotment as it's just accross the local playing field from our house so it's not too bad. I don't know whether they've actually ever had sheds and had anybody break in or whether they're just erring on the side of caution, does keep the 'visual imact' low though :D
What's more of a bummer is that we have storage for 700litres of rainwater at home, fed directly from the guttering downpipe, and it's toppers at the moment. If it was lighter to shift we'd be taking it with us :?  :)

do you have a towbar on your car? check the ex-MoD auctions, perhaps you could buy a surplus water bowser :D  fill it from your home harvesting system and tow it around :D

im looking to expand my harvesting system. I have ~600l capacity but want to run a rain flush system for the toilets, so need an extra 1000-2000l. The flush system is easy and cheap, finding the water containers isnt! :cry:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

poultrygeist

Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 15:16 »
have you checked out the 1000l containers on ebay ? With the steel cages.

No idea if there's any near you but may do the trick.

Good work both of you btw.

Rob  8)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 16:42 »
trouble with the ebay ones is they are rarely near me. Aunti just put me on to a company that has them (IBCs) at good price in wales, and deliver, but it depends on the delivery costs.

There are a few food factories near me, im going to get cheeky and see if i can scrounge :lol:

poultrygeist

Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 16:47 »
Always worth a try. Especially if you say why. Might make them feel they're doing their bit for the environment !!  :)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 16:57 »
Theres one plant that has hundreds of IBCs stacked up that i can see from the road.

I like the look of those big fruit juice tanks as well :D

Little Dibber

Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 00:15 »
do you think there would be much of a response to a petition to #10 from their online petitions web site to have subsidised water butts the same way you can get subsidised compost bins...
"Know that this is your God, who could not consent to send anyone else to save you, but would come himself that he might gain for himself all your love."
St Alphonsus Ligouri

poultrygeist

Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:34 »
Some councils do subsidise them. Not sure if ours do but our last one did.

And I don't think No.10 would be able to do anything. You'd have to petition your county council. Worth asking.

Rob  :)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Rainwater harvesting
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 19:40 »
Quote from: "Little Dibber"
do you think there would be much of a response to a petition to #10 from their online petitions web site to have subsidised water butts the same way you can get subsidised compost bins...

NO, none whatsoever :x  the whole online petition thing is a waste of time. They are ignored. What they are is a great way for the gub'mint to do some market research without actually having to put any effort in.

like PG said, the local councils need to subsidise them (Is that a PG tip? :wink: ), or at least back a recycling project to make them from locally sourced materials like recycled food barrels

xx
Using rainwater from a new shed roof

Started by theswedelt on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 10:06
by noshed
xx
Rainwater Collection Shelter

Started by john10001 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 08:42
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 36 queries.