What to do with my Seed Spuds

• 9 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
What to do with my Seed Spuds
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:46 »
I was having a think today about what to do with my seed spuds when I chit them.

Two years ago I left them in the shed and mice got at them  :mad:

Last year I put them in my mini greenhouse. They were untouched by mice but the process took longer and "chits" were smaller because there was too much light.

This year I was planning to put them back in the greenhouse again and try and exclude some light to help the chitting along.

Anyway the problem I see is that of potential frost.

I lost about 30% of my winter-stored spuds in the shed this year  :mad:  :mad:  :mad: and I am guessing that the seed spuds could be affected as well if it turns cold and nasty again.

Should I just risk it or does anyone have any other ideas?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What to do with my Seed Spuds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00 »
They need to be cool, but frost free, and with as much light as possible.
Chits should be smallish.......long chits can easily get broken off during planting :(

Greenhouse is good unless we have a return to freezing day & night temps. In a normal spring giving them a bit of extra protection at night is all that's needed IMO

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00 »
You need light when chitting you are actually after small study shoots, not long weak white ones.

I'd revert to the greehouse idea!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:01 »
Snap - just about!

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 13:08 »
You need light when chitting you are actually after small study shoots, not long weak white ones.

I'd revert to the greehouse idea!

Agreed, but I find there is too much light in the greenhouse and the shoots are not as developed as I would like (ideally i am looking for 5-10 mm or half an inch in proper money)

So if  blackout the roof and a couple of sides I think i should have the right amount of light.

May keep the frost out too.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 13:10 »
I don't think size matters, in fact a lot of people don't think chitting matters at all.

If you believe in chitting, then the aim is to kick start the spud into life. This you've achieved no matter what the length of chit is.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 13:11 »
the smaller shoots are probably a result of cool temperatures, rather than lack of light.
If they do not grow as long as you would like, then move them somewhere a little warmer, but still in as much light as possible.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 14:00 »
If you are putting them in the greenhouse just give them a covering of a couple of layers of fleece, it will protect from frost and if it's important to you, reduce the light a little.
Paul

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 14:18 »
I think this thread needs to lighten up, if only for the benefit of the seed spuds!

Cool but frost-free, plenty of light (but not over-strong); a north-facing window-sill in a cool room is ideal (you are aiming for firm, purple chits, up to but not more than an inch long, which you won't get if you deprive them of light.)

As I've recently said elsewhere mine chit slowly and happily for literally months when kept in those conditions.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 20:48 »
Store cool, frost free and dry until you want to start chitting. Light or dark does not matter at this stage.

About 6 weeks before your target planting date bring them into the warm and light for a week or so to break their dormancy.

Once you can see new chits(buds) put them into cool and light conditions. Not too cool or they will not develop. Too warm and they will dry out. Light will keep the chits short.

Later you will see nodules forming round the bases of the chits. These will develop into roots as soon as they are planted.

xx
seed spuds

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 22:02
by pwgun
xx
Seed spuds

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 13:08
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
JBA Seed Spuds.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 17:56
by mrsparkle
xx
Got your seed spuds yet?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 13:24
by AnneB

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 33 queries.