Advice needed......

• 4 Replies

Chuckles

Advice needed......
« on: April 01, 2010, 20:36 »
Hi all....  Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can offer me....

One of my warrens Ginger is not having a good time at the mo, she's part way through a moult and has been laying soft shelled eggs for a quite few days (She has been laying very light shelled eggs for a few weeks too).  Now she has become very withdrawn, shes spending most of the time hunched and puffed up under the coop and not mixing with the others, she's still drinking but doesn't seem to be bothered about eating - even her treats.  Just been to put them to bed and she hasn't even got the energy to get up on to the perch so shes hundled up on the bottom of the coop.  Any ideas what I can do to give her a boost???  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice needed......
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 21:18 »
a full moult can take it out of some birds, has she got a temperature? - feel under a wing and then feel under a well bird to see if they are about the same temp. Has her comb gone pale or is it still bright red? You could add some poultry spice to her feed to give her a boost or life guard to her water. Laying soft shelled eggs also takes it out of them and can be a serious problem should it break inside her. Does she have access at all times to oyster shell so she gets some calcium? You could try giving her a little boost by giving her a spot of limestone flour if she has oyster shell and still needs some extra help.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 21:47 »
She may need to see the vet  :(

Chuckles

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 21:50 »
I didn't want to bother her earlier by picking her up but I'll check her temperature against the others in the morning.  Her comb is very bright red, it's actually brighter than the others, theirs are very pinkish compared to hers at the mo - is this a good sign or bad???
I've been giving them all fishy cat food weekly while they have been going through their moults (they've been moulting one by one sice November!!!) with some poultry spice mixed in, I gave her some yesterday but she only had a quick peck at it and walked away.  They all have access to oyster shell and grit at all times.  I've got some limestone flour in, could I mix it with something to give her and how much should I give her???

Chuckles

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 22:02 »
Ginger update....

Checked her temp earlier, felt under her wing and she felt the same temp as the others.  Went to put them to bed earlier...and great news!  She's managed to get her self up on to the perch for the night and one of my other warrens rosie is huddled up to her with a protective wing over her....so sweet!  :)  Doesn't look like she's attempted to lay today (thankfully) so hopefully that's given her a well needed boost!

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
help advice needed

Started by gem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 14:27
by gem
xx
Advice needed on ill hen

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 10:21
by freddiesmiles
xx
advice needed please

Started by clare30 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:25
by clare30

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 29 queries.