Cats, Foxes and other small creatures and a sunken well

• 4 Replies

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
« on: November 17, 2008, 14:34 »
Hello gang,

Just a quick one but what dangers do they pose to any plants / seeds I plan to put down ? Any tips of preventing them digging up the plants ?

I'm aware of Weils Disease from rats, hopefully there are none !

Also it seems I have a sunken well on my plot  :shock:

Will the water be of any use. I assume it's stagnet....well it stinks anyway !

Thanks

Tony

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 21:03 »
I think you're supposed to be never more than a few metres from a rat in urban areas - they hang out in all sorts of places, saw a really HUGE one on our site last week at twilight.
To get weil's disease you would have to drink rat pee, or get it in your eyes, or directly into the bloodstream, or be bitten by one - so wear gloves if it bothers you and obviously try to wash dirt off before you eat.
Mice will dig up seeds, squirrels like to munch, wood pigeons are a pain in the a%&e.
Cats will leave calling cards as will foxes, but I don't think they'll eat anything veggie being carnivores - i could be wrong though!

then there are scores of "pests" greenfly, black fly, sky blue pink fly, carrot fly, SLUGS you will come to hate, along with their cousins - snails (here's where the French got something right - they at least eat them!)

You will probably get all sorts of opinions on the best way to handle this from trying to confuse the insects by companion planting, using barrier methods (plants, not contraception  :lol: ) and nuking them with insecticide - depends on how organic you want to be, how much time & money, etc,
lastly, but not least,
My most HATED creature for 2008 - the cabbage white caterpiller
RIP jane's brassicas

HTH - not a clue about the well

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 21:07 »
Not sure what damage other than digging the plants up, I cant think of anything of the top of my head
But stay away from that fox poo, it STINKS!
As for the rats, gloves are a requirements because of weils disease, and wash your hands many times...and cover any cuts.

And is there any way to fill in the well? Or turn it into some kind of beneficial place for frogs and birds (who will eat the slugs  :D ), maybe put some pond plants in for oxygenating and a couple of goldfish to eat any mosquito lavae?

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

merlin12

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 20:21 »
Just for info, cats will chew on anything that vaguely resembles grass.  Mine ruined some new sweetcorn plants earlier in the year doing this.  :shock:

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 23:02 »
On our plot we have whole family of foxes and a couple of cats.  I'd rather not think about the rats.  The foxes and cats would not be there if it wasn't for the rats and birds.  

The foxes dig up my plot looking for worms.  They kill rats and hedgehogs (the latter of which eat slugs) and chase cats.  We don't have any rabbits and the bird damage isn't too bad because of the cats.  So I guess it's all kind of balanced.  

You are always going to get some damage so it's best to plant extra as an insurance but it is infuriating as foxes sometimes make natural damage look like wilful destruction.  They can't be stopped easily.

You should not be too concerned about Weils disease if you follow the very sound suggestions above.    As an ageing rugby player I can heartily advise that good quality barrier cream or Vaseline is far more effective than a plaster for very small cuts when scrabbling around in the dirt.

The well is a new one on me.  Could be a costly renovation.  I'd check to see if you are responsible for it from a Health and Safety / Public indemnity Insurance stand point.

My foxes dug under my shed and compost heap.  

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/06/long-dark-tea-time-of-fox.html

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/10/oi.html
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

clip
Creatures

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 13:31
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Funny Purple Creatures on my Brassica's

Started by mike2niner4 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
How to Stop Our Veg From Being Eaten By Creatures, Such as Mice, Pigeons, etc.

Started by poshsimontemplar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 21:26
by shokkyy
xx
Small tomatoes, small success?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 10:17
by Mike.white

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 29 queries.