Think we are getting ducks!

• 33 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
« on: July 24, 2008, 21:37 »
Having considered ducks and as mentioned on another thread deceided that they are too messy! we are now going to give them a try...somebody we know has all sorts of poultry, horses goats etc and says we can have two of his to see if we like them and if we find it all too much he will take them back..this is what we did with the hens and of course we are now totally besotted by them.

Soooo they are arriving this weekend ...I asked what kind they are and his answer was medium size and white?????? :roll:  How technical is that??? who knows, we will have to wait and see.. Even if he said what they are it would makeno difference to me as I know nothing about any ducks....

I know nothing about hens and each time I read anything about the ones I have I shake my head and say "It sounds nothing like ours" so who knows???

Vember

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 22:18 »
Ahhh Congratulations

You'll love em, yeh can be a little bit messy, but they more than make up for that with their quirky ways  :lol:

Can't wait to hear how you get on :)

Kate/Foxy, duck lovers are on the up we are converting the nation, quick more photo's  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 22:33 »
Is there a conspiracy, or am I imagining things ??  :roll:

Hope you get on with them and can enjoy their slapstick humour  :D

Rob  8)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 22:37 »
Conspiracy Us :shock:

Naaa we're not like that  :lol:

FCG

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 22:38 »
Vember, keep away from me hear? My resolve can only stem so much.

Congratulations on deciding (or going towards) getting ducks, from what kate has told me (in her battle to persuade me) they are very entertaining and will bring many laughs to your household.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 22:41 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"
Vember, keep away from me hear? My resolve can only stem so much.
quote]

So you've not seen the picture's of my little baby runners then????

They're here if you want a look  :lol:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=21309

:wink:

FCG

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 22:50 »
Yes yes I've seen them, I deliberately didn't say anything because it made me think of getting them. But I'm sticking to the fact i already have chickens and adding a pond to the garden and extending a run wouldn't be fair on either the chickens, ducks or the rest of the family. Not to mention the dog that managed to dig under the fence!

But i wish good luck on everyone who gets them, keep us posted (with pics or else i'll enforce the law .... vigorously)

Vember

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 22:53 »
One day freecg  :)

Just seems a shame after you dug a pond then filled it in again, you were so nearly there  :D

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 23:15 »
This is young billy around 5 weeks old -he's an indian runner they are very easy to look after.....how could you resist? :lol:  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:42 »
Congratulations, you will love them. Best thing I've done in years getting my 3 girls. Not entirely sure how I have ended up with 9 :oops:  :wink:

They must be breeding :lol:

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:53 »
All very encouraging!" Hope I feel this enthusiastic this time next week.. Not sure about accomadation, they are going to start in the lower level of a 2 storey rabbit hutch for sleeping...they have a big area to wander around and trash during the day...if we keep them I will look for a more suitable abode.

I have seen in a "pet supermarket type place" some small dog kennels made of some sort of resin material...like the idea of low maintainance...what do ducks like???

Vember

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:07 »
Some of mine are in wooden huts and the runners will be in one of these

http://www.gardenproducts4u.com/images/gardenproducts4u/Horizontal_Plastic_Storage.jpg

You can buy them anywhere most Diy stores etc

I have made a hole in one side and put netting on it for air :)
I've found it really easy to clean, drys in no time and with a middle step where the 2 doors meet keeps all their bedding in one place :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10 »
I could sell you the plans for my 'super deluxe knock together in a day pallet wood duck house' but obviously there's going to be huge soon so order today to avoid disappointment !  :wink:

Rob  :)

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 09:48 »
Just  wondering about the "snugs dog kennel"  It is totally moulded resin stuff but it doesn't have a door...do ducks like shutting in? other than the risk of foxes, or are they quite happy to snuggle together?

Thinking that they don't have a door on their nest in the wild...

Vember

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:51 »
I always shut mine in at night Violet, unlike chickens ducks have very good night time vision and will stay out all night messing :lol:  

It really is best to get them something with a door on so you can shut them in and know they're safe :)

Whoops forgot they'll snuggle up quite happily togeather :D

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Ducks

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 19:13
by Vember
question
ducks

Started by cazza on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 21:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Ducks ( maybe )

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 09:49
by Cleo

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.