What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

chillimummy

Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #405 on: July 25, 2017, 21:26 »
Weeded and hoed around pumpkin and squash. Still slow growing  :(
Sugar snap peas under net have germinated and lots of little shoots popping up :)
Small amount of germinated peas are growing well.
Weeded between rows of seedlings that can't remember order I sowed them in  ;)
Weeded strawberries.
Picked and pruned bushes and loads of blackcurrants and red gooseberries and pulled up loads of weeds around them.
Small area around fruit bushes now that is clearer.
Going to tackle rest of fruit bushes at the weekend with help of OH.
Hoping can avoid borrowing strimmer and that can pull up most of weeds, lots of sticky weed.
Will get weed fabric and bark down.   

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #406 on: July 25, 2017, 21:26 »
Busy you! Blimey.

chillimummy

« Reply #407 on: July 25, 2017, 22:07 »
Busy you! Blimey.
:lol:
My mum was visiting for few days and she popped down with me.
Think she may have regretted her offer to help after an hour and a half tackling weeds and getting scratched by brambles  :D   

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2017, 23:58 »
Picked a few brambles and rasps, grazing really.. :D

Dug up some spuds (Roosters), not a mark on them. No slug, worm or any damage at all. Pretty chuffed and looking forward to having some for tea tomorrow  8)

Green manure patch is doing great! Buckwheat has shot up, though not that you'd notice as the Borage has taken over. All good
Stuff..

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: July 29, 2017, 17:10 »
Managed to get this lot planted out before the rain set in.  Cabbages R us  :lol:  Also some erbette and nipper leeks.

Harvested stuff and was just about to start weeding a section, when the odd spots of rain turned into something more persistent and dreary.
IMG_2319 (480x640).jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #410 on: July 29, 2017, 19:59 »
Weeded one sweetcorn bed,earthed them up & added 2 barrow loads of well rotted manure as a mulch, looked lovely when I stood back. Dug up the last couple of plants of Lady Chrystal potatoes. Came home & did some dead heading in the garden then shredded the pruning of buddleia & bamboo that I pruned the other day
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #411 on: July 30, 2017, 19:49 »
Manged all afternoon with OH as weather stayed dry.
He dug over and weeded patch where blackcurrant bushes had been and bonfire after.
Lots of roots there still and odd raspberries showing through. Looks so much better now.
He started digging and weeding patch near fruit bushes where I had pulled up lots of weeds and started pruning fruit bushes.
I hoed between peas, beans, squash and celeriac.
Squash are finally showing signs of spreading  :)
All looks so much better too.
Planted under two nets, lots of pak choi. Sown at home and all germinated so good job I really like them  :D
Dug up few plants of charlotte potatoes, lovely clean big potatoes.
Also dug up my garlic, shallots and a few red onions.
Got so much done between us. OH only visits plot very occasionally  ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #412 on: July 30, 2017, 21:31 »
when down the allotment hadn't been down for several days but that rain had altered things we picked a lovely crop of climbing French beans a couple of pointed  cabbage and 4 marrows

I always think when you pick veg like that of ones plot  it really makes working on your allotment so worth the effort
there are a couple spaces where we picked our broad beans and onions that are showing our favourite weed redshank that will be sprayed of this week to keep things tidy

chillimummy

« Reply #413 on: August 01, 2017, 22:18 »
Quick visit late on to hoe around.
Leveled soil from digging over at weekend.
At home spread onions and shallots in conservatory to dry out. 

chillimummy

« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2017, 23:00 »
Planted two different types of cabbages and netted.
Planted few fennel plants and sowed fennel seeds.
Hoed and weeded.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #415 on: August 05, 2017, 14:01 »
Picked more lurkers
May the fork be with you

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #416 on: August 05, 2017, 20:22 »
Pruned back all the excess summer growth on the grape vine at home so the grapes can ripen.  The chickens have now spotted them however, so anything within leaping distance will be history  ::)

Harvested plums - plum brandy now maturing in a big jar in the cupboard under the stairs and plum crumble now in my tum  :D

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #417 on: August 05, 2017, 21:22 »
Got some seedlings coming along on my windowsill (cabbage and turnip), which will be ready to plant when I've sorted my green manured half of my plot out.

As far as that has gone, I've strimmed it all flat (about 2 foot high Buckwheat and Borage. It;s looking  tidy at least, until it gets turned over.

Might have to give it a miss tomorrow as there's some race going on in York, and our site is near the centre of the race. Will be a nightmare to get to unless I get there damn early. On a Sunday, when I'm up at 5 every morning.. Maybe not...

Also dug a few spud plants up for my neighbour. I think I'll have plenty so don't mind letting some folks have a few (Roosters. and they taste great). Also strimmed a big patch of weeds for him as well. Took it practically back to bare soil. Been a good buy has my second hand brushcutter/strimmer.

Realised I've been working this plot for one year now as I started it to help my father out who was ill with cancer at the time. He passed away on the 1st August last year so I've had it properly for a year now.

I hope he would be proud of how I've done. Still lots of hard work to do to get it into shape as he'd let it go quite a lot. I wish he could be here to guide me with the vast knowledge he had.. Oh well, I'm getting there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 21:26 by Rhys »

miggs

« Reply #418 on: August 06, 2017, 13:13 »
Got to the plot earlier and all the Onions where laying flat, so pulled up one bed of them, got the soil off and left them on the ground to dry for a few days. Looking at the one's drying out and the other plot of Onions left I must have planted approx 200. Strimmed all the paths, hoed all round, tied up some Tom's, pinched out side shoots.

Forget to post last week about what I did, so just to say that last weekend I planted out about 30-35 Leeks.

Now going into potting shed to sow some Spring cabbage, turnips etc and what ever else I think can go in.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #419 on: August 07, 2017, 14:14 »
Dug out the last of the Supasweet onions I was growing for summer salad use.  There were shallots next to them that had already been harvested, so dug over and weeded that whole bit.

Carried on weeding amongst the leeks and cabbages and got a huge pile of stuff for the compost bin.  I had to relocate several slow worms to adjacent bins so I could pile all the new stuff in.  They weren't that impressed, but slid off to find new basking spots under the black plastic covers.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

56 Replies
Last post May 29, 2024, 20:11
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 44 queries.