About seven cherries!

• 10 Replies

Kleftiwallah

About seven cherries!
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:44 »

Planted a cherry bush about three years ago, I should be getting more than 7 cherries by now shouldn't I?   ???    If it is any help, I'm training it as an espalier.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

simonwatson

Re: About seven cherries!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:47 »
What rootstock is it on? What type is it, self fertile or self sterile?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 13:52 »

Thanks for the quick reply Simon.

Cherry Sunburst Colt Maiden B/root.

" Desert cherry - Very large near black fruit, self fertile.  Similar to Stella in growth.  Tree height when mature, 4 - 5 metres".

There y'go straight off the label.      If I remember it may be on Gizzelle rootstock.

Cheers,    Tony.

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 17:44 »
hi tony i have a cherry tree and its about 5 years old, last year was the first year it produced fruit - but only a handfull, whereas this year its got hundreds on! and when i read up on cherries as i was getting worried about mine - it says they start to produce fruit from years 4 and 5

so i think your cherry tree is perfectly normal  ;)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 17:57 »
We'll have to drink our duty free Asbach for a couple of years yet before we get to make cherry brandy.  The espalier is forming nicely.

:blink:

Cheers,    Tony.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 19:35 »
Pretty well all sweet cherry trees need a sour cherry tree in the area that flowers at the same time for pollination. Sours can self-pollinate, but sweets rarely do. Sounds like you 7 cherries had a touch of success but not enough.

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 14:49 »
Height when mature of 4-5 metres suggests a semi vigorous rootstock to me. It might still be a year or two before you get a good flowering and crop.

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 18:36 »
I planted a Morello cherry tree last year, and it's full of fruit right now (although the leaves are a little yellow and droopy - lack of water?).  Next door neighbour said his cherry tree has never done too well, but it seems to be now, probably as a result of my cherry tree.  So I think you really do need another tree, even if it's supposedly self-fertile. 

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:27 »
As I said earlier, sweet cherries, regardless of the claims, are not really self fertile and never have been. No idea why, but that's how it is. The presence of a sour cherry nearby will really benefit any sweets in the area.

simonwatson

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56 »
Does it need to be a sour cherry, or will another sweet cherry do the job? I planted a collection of three sweet cherries (all suitable pollination partners for each other) in the winter. If I need a sour cherry as well I'll need to find some space for it.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 14:31 »
I had some sweet cherry trees that flowered before my sour cherry tree did and the crops were very poor. I bought another (dwarf) sour cherry variety that flowered around the same time as the sweets and I finally started getting good crops.

So yes, a sour cherry in the area is a good investment. Just make it a dwarf and it will do the job. Tell your seller what your sweet varieties are so he/she can match the flowering time of the sour with what you have since varieties tend to flower at different times.

The sour tree won't be a waste. You can freeze the pitted berries and use them for crumbles, pie fillings, cakes, etc. They're great for baking.

xx
cherries

Started by ruby400 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:20
by Trillium
xx
If they look like cherries does that mean they are cherries?

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 23:42
by Salmo
xx
Cherries

Started by Andymack on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2006, 12:52
by yewtreemob
xx
pruning cherries

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 18:15
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 28 queries.