Protecting strawbs Jan-March

• 17 Replies

tiny50

Re: Protecting strawbs Jan-March
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 10:04 »
Just a quickie whilst we are talking strawberries, can I plant them outside now (they are waiting in small pots ready to go out) if the soil is ok to plant (not frozen and not soggy)?  Or should I wait until March?  Books suggest best planting time, but I just wondered if
anyone had experimented?  Thanks :nowink:
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and got no reply,  nice to know I am not alone at the unknown.  I felt stupid asking for a while there.  I seem to remember seeing an article that said bring em in through dec, jan.  then plant em out in mid feb.  cant find the article now I need it though.  maybe one of the more experienced fellas could help if they see this.  please !!!!
WIFE SAYS i AM THE BOSS IN MY OWN SHED

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 14:19 »
Just a quickie whilst we are talking strawberries, can I plant them outside now (they are waiting in small pots ready to go out) if the soil is ok to plant (not frozen and not soggy)?  Or should I wait until March?  Books suggest best planting time, but I just wondered if
anyone had experimented?  Thanks :nowink:
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and got no reply,  nice to know I am not alone at the unknown.  I felt stupid asking for a while there.  I seem to remember seeing an article that said bring em in through dec, jan.  then plant em out in mid feb.  cant find the article now I need it though.  maybe one of the more experienced fellas could help if they see this.  please !!!!

If it were me:
If your plants are in pots then leave them where they are for now.... They wont start growing or be in a rush to spread their roots until it is warmer. Those already out on the plot are sitting there doing nothing but waiting for warmth and sunshine.... they are used to the conditions.

If you bed out new plants too early they risk battling with the cold / damp so there's no advantage. Planting them out and covering with poly-sheeting might be ok but lack of air could end up with grey (or some other colour :unsure:) mold...

Be patient - not long to go  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

tiny50

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 09:35 »
Thanks for that Learner.  as you say not long till it warms.

xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 00:08
by Dan78
xx
strawbs

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 19:37
by Lesleyk
xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 13:47
by gavinjconway
xx
STRAWBS

Started by doug hutch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 18:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 34 queries.