What to do about to many established weeds?

• 7 Replies

khelashi

What to do about to many established weeds?
« on: August 14, 2012, 20:15 »
We've never been great for weeding regularly but since our life took a very busy turn 2 years ago the weeds have just been taking over like crazy, I feel like a contestant in Survivor in there! Also since the weather was so bad, the slugs have joined the party and we're feeling mightily frustrated!
My believe in organic gardening (never ever use such evil things as weedkillers!) is being challenged and I am very tempted to - after our current crop is harvested - slap on the poison! Would that be really so bad? Are you using it? Please help! ;-)
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. :-)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: What to do about to many established weeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 20:57 »
Are your weeds in your beds or paths?  Do you have grass paths?  

Yes a lot of people resort to the Glyphosate from time to time as it is a weed killer that becomes inactive when it hits the soil, so there is less danger of future crops being affected.  If you have patches of weeds, I use a 2L pop bottle with the bottom cut off and spray glyphosate to treat individual large weeds without risk of the spray straying into areas you don't want it to go.

It might be worth strimming off the weeds, allowing them to regrow, then treat with a glyphosate based weedkiller on a non windy day if you decide to go down this road.

Personally, if you have grass paths, I would get rid of them as you will always be fighting to maintain the edges and stopping couch, etc from travelling from the grass paths onto your beds.

The other thing is to cover either with tarpaulin or weed suppressant any strimmed areas that you are due to cultivate later.  This will slow down/weaken the weed growth.  

For crops that are likely to be in for a long time, I plant through layers of water soaked newspaper and mulch on top with either a thin layer of grass clippings or HM compost.  This helps keep the weeds down to save on weeding between the plants, as well as conserving water (although you may need to put down some slug repellant).

The final bit is where you can't mulch in between plants, is to try to regularly hoe in dry weather so you keep the young weeds down and they wither on the soil surface and don't get established - but I guess that is probably stating the obvious!

I think most of us try to be as organic as possible.  Personally, I have gone back to using blue non-organic slug pellets sparingly as I cannot find a good enough organic alternative and glyphosate in early spring on spots of my paths (which do also have weed suppressant but suffer with bindweed which grows through).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 21:13 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

khelashi

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 21:44 »
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply ;-)
We have lots of grass growing around the polytunnels that creeps underneath. Also before we moved in (the tunnels were already in place), they were neglected for years and completely overgrown. We did a lot of work but were not scrupulous enough, being gardening beginners and all... ;-) Now, 4 years later we've learned a lot but are still frustrated by some aspects. I will definitely try the newspaper and grass clipping mulch and am also leaning towards using a weedkiller around the edges just once - I would just like to find one that is not to harsh on the surrounding plants. You mentioned Glyphosate - I will look into that. Thank you!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 22:21 »
Excellent post by angela  :D

I use glyphosate once a year on average on my plot when the weeds / couch grass get too aggressive.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient, not the brand name of the product.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08 »
I more or less do the same as angelavdavis - a combination of techniques depending on the weeds and the crops in a particular bed.

It's been my experience that although weed suppressant materials such as black plastic, fabric or cardboard will clear a bed in a season, the moment you lift it up (or it rots down), weed seeds that would normally be dormant while there is top growth are suddenly exposed to light - a cleared bed actually encourages more weed seeds to germinate all at once and if they are not hoed off early can turn into an even weedier bed than before!  The same goes for a bed than is newly dug over over ready for sowing - I deliberately delay sowing seeds until that first crop of weed seeds germinate and is dealt with.  Providing you don't disturb the soil too much after (and bringing up new weed seeds to the surface), keeping on top of any weeds after gets easier in the season but I have learned that removing them early means less to tackle later in the season.

The squash beds have benefitted from being covered in weed suppressant material - planted through the material, you not only get a crop while the weeds are suppressed, but the black material can also help to warm the soil which the squash plants will respond to.

Beds that I know have certain weeds such as chickweed and speedwell will however, get the glyphosate treatment.  I have tried to dig them out but their fine roots are so difficult to lift carefully and they flower and shed seeds in the blink of an eye.  Couch grass responds very well to glyphosate and although it may take a year or 2 treating the area infested with the grass (the plants may die but there are still seeds that germinate later), I have to say that getting rid of couch grass this way has never been easier.

Now bindweed - I used to dig the root out but never ever achieved total clearance.  So these days I dig over a bed and get as much root out as possible and then let any top growth appear before spraying with weedkiller.  It is proving to be very effective and the amount of bindweed on the plot has diminished quite a lot since taking it on.

My number one worst weed of all is marestail - it is insidious and proving to be my nemesis. Using weed suppressant cover alone will not kill it off - it simply goes dormant.  I had 2 beds covered for over 3 years and to my dismay it came back albeit in less numbers.    I am finding the combination of digging out the root and concentrated weedkiller is working but a slow process and have concluded that it cannot be got rid off but endured.

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16 »
I did some Googling and found this site: http://www.weed-killer.org/organic-weedkiller-recipes/. Maybe some of the non salt based recipes might suit your organic needs?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:06 »
The usual statement from John in response to homemade stuff ;)

Members sometimes discuss making their own pesticides or uses for commercial products beyond those they are licensed for. Whilst not wishing to stifle free speech, this site does not suggest or condone the illegal use of pesticides and would suggest members consider

this article

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 15:14 »
IMHO, I think you have to try and achieve a balance somewhere between organic growing and your principles on this, the total area you have to maintain, the types of weeds you have, the time, resources and money you have, and your physical and mental capabilities. I have four dearly-beloved cats and a large flower and veg garden, so am reluctant to use weedkillers, sprays, slug pellets etc willy-nilly. I have tried to be wily in that I have put slug pellets close to the root of my brassicas where it is unlikely that they will tread, bottle-sprayed glyphostae on the ever-encroaching dandelions in my gravel driveway - but only when the cats are having an afternoon snooze, used a hoe wherever possible, hand-weeded those nasty weeds that produce millions of seeds like yellow-flowered, bronze-leaved oxalis, and haven't sprayed my roses in years as the ladybirds find them a feasting area for greenfly. If you want to go totally organic, it will take a number of years for the soil and your environment to get back to what it should be. If you don't want to get dispirited with all this, black plastic covering, cardboard with a covering of whatever or weed-control fabric (not on couch grass or the like) will give you some respite while you reconsider your options.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Watering established asparagus??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 17:56
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Established asparagas on my new plot

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 18, 2011, 18:36
by lmpd
xx
Established raspberry canes

Started by Pebbles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 09:00
by tode
xx
established strawberry patch

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 17:45
by Trillium

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 30 queries.