feeding new hens

• 5 Replies

lynsnow

feeding new hens
« on: November 16, 2011, 18:37 »
i am picking my hens up tomorrow 2 wellsummers and 1 cream legbar the lady said they are 16-20 weeks and i should feed them growers how long should i feed them this before i  change to layers pellets please.

Casey76

Re: feeding new hens
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 19:01 »
Ask what the breder currently has them on.  See if you can bring a sample hom with you, then you can slowly change it over to a layer pellet over the course of a week :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:41 »
I agree with Casey, they should be a decent size at that age.  The lady you get them off should give you more information if you ask her advice.  I bought a bag of layers pellets off the lady I bought mine from and it was loads cheaper than the local shops.

Welcome to the site and happy hen keeping.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

lynsnow

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 18:24 »
Thank you for your advice my hens have arrived today and i am thrilled with them they are such characters i cant stop watching them they even put themselves to bed bless them .

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 20:32 »
You might not be aware of this but it is compulsory for you to put pictures of your hens on this website!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will find that it is sooooooooooo easy not to do housework, cooking or any other chores as you must be sure that your hens are well and to do this you must observe them closely.  :D

lynsnow

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 22:41 »
I will definatley put some pictures on here once they are roming about but at the moment they only have a small run and it would be very difficult to get any pictures, i have spent all afternoon on a plastic garden chair outside the pen watching them and chatting to them , i cant wait to let them out they are sooo lovely so its a dirty house for me at the moment no time for cleaning lol.

xx
hens not feeding

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 18:10
by tosca100
xx
Feeding our hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 19:10
by azubah
question
feeding hens

Started by ychook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 13:02
by Spana
xx
Feeding scraps to hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 12:03
by T C

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 29 queries.