How high should I earth up my spuds?

• 10 Replies

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
How high should I earth up my spuds?
« on: April 25, 2011, 21:17 »
Hello :)

I planted my 1st and 2nds on 20th March so they've been in ground for 5 weeks now.

I've just been down the allotment and spent some time earhing up them up, however because they are quite high now the top of the ridge is very thin and not able to hold much earth.  *thinks*  Does this explanation make sense?

I could try to find more soil and stick it to the sides and then build higher but I wondered if after a specific amount of time I should just leave them to grow free?  Can anybody offer any advice?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: How high should I earth up my spuds?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 21:25 »
I wouldn't try to find more earth from elsewhere on the plot or you'll end up with beds of different depth / soil quantities.

If you've run out of room to earth up, then keep an eye on the forecast and put some fleece or other cover over the tops if forecast (I think there's some forecast up here for tomorrow night, double check this).

Next year, perhaps plant the rows further apart so you have more capacity and available soil for earthing up further.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 21:35 »
I wouldn't try to find more earth from elsewhere on the plot or you'll end up with beds of different depth / soil quantities.

If you've run out of room to earth up, then keep an eye on the forecast and put some fleece or other cover over the tops if forecast (I think there's some forecast up here for tomorrow night, double check this).

Next year, perhaps plant the rows further apart so you have more capacity and available soil for earthing up further.

I thought I had given the rows plenty of space at 60cm apart but it seems not.  Perhaps it would help if I soaked the soil a bit first so that it stuck together rather than ran back down the hill.

I've got some fleecing in a cupboard somewhere so i'll dig it out tomorrow and cover them just in case.

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 00:29 »
Are you earthing up because everyone else does or is there a really good reason for you to do this? You could be worrying over nothing really as I don't bother earthing up and I have no problems with harvest.

If you are worried about the harvest going green as light gets tot he new potatoes you can mulch with lawn mowings which will block out the light.

My potatoes are not even growing in soil - they are sitting on top of the soil and covered by a foot of home made compost. I just throw more compost or lawn mowings if I feel they need to be covered more and the new potatoes come out clean and easy as I don't have to dig for them.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:39 »
Just a small caveat re using lawn clippings - don't use ones from a lawn where moss/weedkiller has been applied.  The instructions usually say not to compost or otherwise use clippings for about 4 mowings after application.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49 »
My potatoes are not even growing in soil - they are sitting on top of the soil and covered by a foot of home made compost. I just throw more compost or lawn mowings if I feel they need to be covered more and the new potatoes come out clean and easy as I don't have to dig for them.

That's a lot of compost Zippy!  :ohmy:

To grow my modest couple of rows of first earlies like that would take the entire contents of all 3 of my dalek composts bins (and that's assuming it was all rotted down, which it isn't!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:56 »
mine go in quite deep in the first place (6" or so below surface level) and are earthed up another 9 inches or so as they are planted. After that, they get mulches of grass clippings between the rows.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 22:57 »
That's a lot of compost Zippy! 

For a twenty by four foot bed it took two bins of about a cubic metre of compost each but the produce is marvellous, pest free and clean. 

Most of this gets dragged down by earthworms through the year leaving the bed ready for peas and beans the following year. I have earthworms the size of sloworms as they never get chopped up by a spade or rotovator.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 00:18 »

Newspaper is a good stand by if there's nothing else to cover up with for frost protection. A clump or two of soil on the top stops it floating away.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Gandan57

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 00:51 »
I`ve seen a couple of plotholders on our site using a small mantis type tiller between the rows of emerging spuds to break up our clay soil. They then use a hoe or rake to pull the soil up over the teddies.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03 »
I`ve seen a couple of plotholders on our site using a small mantis type tiller between the rows of emerging spuds to break up our clay soil. They then use a hoe or rake to pull the soil up over the teddies.

I've used a Wolf Soil-miller in the past on heavy clay.

xx
When to earth up spuds

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 14:44
by WG.
xx
I can't earth up my spuds any further (+pics)- HELP

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 19:45
by Paul Plots
xx
what on earth?

Started by Beano on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 20:25
by JoshP
xx
what on earth was that!!!

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 18:29
by purplebat

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.