What are these bugs?

• 12 Replies

al78

What are these bugs?
« on: September 29, 2013, 14:33 »
Had my spring cabbage seedlings destroyed by these white grub like things, can anyone tell me what they are and if any preventative measures exist.

The seedlings were grown in my garden in modules then potted on into small pots and it is since then they started wilting and I noticed these bugs.

The slightly worrying thing is that I have planted half a dozen up at the plot (which looked healthy at the time) so I'm now concerned I've just contaminated my plot with something nasty.

PICT0396.JPG
PICT0400.JPG

Fairy Plotmother

Re: What are these bugs?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 14:48 »
Looks like vine weevils to me.  :( :( They need to be squished. You can get a treatment to water into your pots but I believe it takes more than 1 treatment and can therefore be a bit expensive.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 15:28 »
I agree, evil weevil of the vine ! :mad:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 16:53 »
I thought they looked a bit too short and squat for carrot rootfly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 17:18 »
I agree with Mum - they're not curved enough and don't have the characteristic brown head of vine weevil.

Does look like the image of cabbage root fly posted.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

al78

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 20:35 »
Thanks for the responses. If it is cabbage root fly then I guess I can put something around the base of the stem to stop the fly laying eggs on the soil. I may try that when I pot up the remaining modules or alternatively get hold of some fleece to cover them.

Just when I thought I'd got the better of the slugs and cabbage whites...  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 22:09 »
make sure that they aren't already on the roots when you pot them up  :unsure:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 20:44 »
Thanks for the responses. If it is cabbage root fly then I guess I can put something around the base of the stem to stop the fly laying eggs on the soil. I may try that when I pot up the remaining modules or alternatively get hold of some fleece to cover them.

I understand, you planted them out on your plot - not the same place, I assume? -, you might not have any there. But indeed, as said, you might have planted some grubs with the seedlings, I'd think it's worth to dig up and investigate...

As for home and future, I'd remove all brassica vegetable seedlings and keep them in future on plot, if there is no infestation there.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

al78

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 00:03 »

I understand, you planted them out on your plot - not the same place, I assume? -, you might not have any there. But indeed, as said, you might have planted some grubs with the seedlings, I'd think it's worth to dig up and investigate...

As for home and future, I'd remove all brassica vegetable seedlings and keep them in future on plot, if there is no infestation there.

No not the same place, the seedlings I planted on the plot were strong and healthy unlike the infected seedlings which were limp as if they were dying of thirst. I'll keep checking the ones on the plot to see if they go the same way. The only slight problem with having seedlings on the plot is I don't have anywhere off the ground to put them whilst they are in modules/pots; I don't want to just put them on the ground because the slugs will probably have them in about 10 minutes (have just scissored at least 50 of the blighters earlier this evening).

gobs

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 20:14 »
Were they to go the same way, you will be a bit late.

Build a cold frame?

al78

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 20:59 »
Were they to go the same way, you will be a bit late.

Build a cold frame?

I've got some reinforcements which I sowed a bit later than the others which I have just potted up. With any luck these will survive long enough to be planted out on the plot in 2-3 weeks time.

If they don't make it I will probably have to give up on the idea of spring cabbage.
PICT0401.JPG

gobs

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 21:04 »
No, I meant infestation of your plot with root fly for all brassica. That's why I said, I'd dig them up and have a lookie.

clip
Bugs

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 12:47
by mumofstig
xx
bugs

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:42
by rink123
xx
bugs

Started by bella13 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 21:58
by parttimer
clip
More bugs!!!

Started by Beetie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 16:44
by Dr_Pepper

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 30 queries.