Help! I want to sleep tonight!

• 25 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: Help! I want to sleep tonight!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 20:49 »
I remember that show, Butterflies, and she really was the worst cook.

And truly, and honestly with no exageration, that was my mum.

I popped in to see her one evening a few years ago, while she was in the kitchen and dad was eating tea. Some none descript brown soggy goo was on the plate and I whispered to dad 'what is it?' He just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

Then there was the trifle with the salted peanuts and the turkey and the chestnut stuffing to name but a few. :lol: :lol:

I always remembered thinking when a child that there must be better things to eat than what was on my plate. And I was right :lol:

allotmentann

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 21:07 »
 :lol: Oh dear! Alas! I am old enough to remember Butterflies - although I think I got sent to bed when it was on! It is a huge pan I am using, but it was full to the top! I doubled the recipe (way too many courgettes!), Hugh Fernley's Courgette Glutney. It smells pretty good, but I think there is another hour of cooking left yet! :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 21:17 »
so do I, we are all over a certain age, my mum was a fair cook very plain meat and 2 veg person but she never enjoyed it or did anything fancy she cooked because she had to and we always had loads of veg because she worked at a green grocer and years later she told me she didn't like any veg she just ate because it was cheap and healthy. Soup and spaggetti always came out of a tin and her favouite desert was sarah lee choc cake.

I some time wonder if I'm a changling. :wacko:

Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 21:26 »
Well of course I was only young too ::) It did make me laugh tho' 'cos I didn't see Wendy Craig, I just saw my mum :lol: :lol:

And if you doubled the recipe A. Ann that was why it took so long.

Just as when you do a pan full of potatoes it takes about 20 minutes if you are catering for crowds and doing cauldrons of spuds they take a great deal longer  just to bring them to the boil never mind cooking them through.

I tried doubling on a few recipes and decided that I would stick to a certain amount of chutney in the pan as some recipes doubled makes a mooshier chutney than they would if you did the smaller amount. It depends whether you like smooth mushy chutney or ones with a few chunky bits it.

Just as the type of apples in a chutney will give a  different texture. All Bramleys will give you mooshy, eating apples will give you chunks and a mixture of both will give you the underlying smooth texture with chunks in it.

I do a ratatouille chutney that gives a better finished product sticking with the original recipe than doubling it.

Yet with the courgette and cracked black pepper chutney it doesn't matter 'cos it is a thick sticky sweet chutney.

Don't stay up too late, Ann :)

Rachel, maybe we are both changelings.  Yep, tinned soup and spaghetti, vile muck, yuck and we had worse than Sara Lee, we had Angel delight and vesta dried packet chow mein.

Oh I feel ill just thinking of it. :ohmy:

Madame Cholet

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 21:34 »
Instant whip and artic roll, fish fingers and packet cheese sauce. I was always under the impression that soup took hours to cook and jam was compilcated. My mum in law is great she is very frail now but has given me receipes for blackberry vinager and a preserving pan which belonged to her aunt.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 21:45 »
 Yea I remember those as well.
With me it was my Grandma who was a very good plain cook and we always had her strawberry jam on brown bread with thick salty butter.

She encouraged me to cook and would buy the ingredients so that I could try out new recipes and she taught me to make jam too. I still have several things from her kitchen including  her old balance scales.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 21:54 »
Oh and I've turned out vegetarian which she never understood!
I was always told galic was disguisting and I remember my first homemade garlic bread at a friends house I though I'd died and gone to heaven.

I'm just so passionate about food growing it and cooking it mind you my Dad is very cosmapolitan he loves to try new food, but he can't cook. The first time we shared a chinese he impressed us when he ate it with chop sticks.

allotmentann

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52 »
I remember the instant whip etc too! Rachel your childhood diet reminds me of my own, only I used to do most of the cooking! I remember making my first cheese souflee, I was about thirteen and having hunted through my mum's collection of recipe books (all two of them!), it was the only thing we had the ingredients for. It turned out really well, I didn't know it was supposed to be difficult! To this day we have to sneak veg into mum's food, she has discovered that she actually likes quite a lot of it now. It is the way it is cooked  that makes the difference.
Ah! Mrs Ball, that explains the longer cooking time, I had not thought about the greater quantities making such a difference :nowink:. It should be obvious really. Well, it is done now and will hopefully be nice :)

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02 »
Oh and I've turned out vegetarian which she never understood!
I was always told galic was disguisting and I remember my first homemade garlic bread at a friends house I though I'd died and gone to heaven.

I'm just so passionate about food growing it and cooking it mind you my Dad is very cosmapolitan he loves to try new food, but he can't cook. The first time we shared a chinese he impressed us when he ate it with chop sticks.

Ah garlic bread it's the future! :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 09:10 »
I remember the instant whip etc too! Rachel your childhood diet reminds me of my own, only I used to do most of the cooking! I remember making my first cheese souflee, I was about thirteen and having hunted through my mum's collection of recipe books (all two of them!), it was the only thing we had the ingredients for. It turned out really well, I didn't know it was supposed to be difficult! To this day we have to sneak veg into mum's food, she has discovered that she actually likes quite a lot of it now. It is the way it is cooked  that makes the difference.
Ah! Mrs Ball, that explains the longer cooking time, I had not thought about the greater quantities making such a difference :nowink:. It should be obvious really. Well, it is done now and will hopefully be nice :)

Obviously we should be thanking our mothers for making us such great cooks. If they had been good we might not have bothered :D

We do seem to have similar upbringings, looking at all the food memories. I could cook a full roast dinner by the age of 11.

And it is not obvious about the longer cooking time. I know about it and yet still get caught out :wub:

Yesterdays chutney Chillillilli, with loads of courgetttes and apples of course, is a large quantity one almost a full pan. i should have put it on early in the morning but it didn't go on till 2 as I had a couple of last minute cheesecake orders come in. I got to 7pm and then had enough! Am off to finish it off as soon as I have had my morning coffee.

And as for garlic bread I try not to make it too often as I can't resist it and my weight is rapidly moving upward.

Having said that I do a cheese and tomato garlic bread when I have enough people to eat it all which is a basic garlic bread with a squirt of tomato paste and a handfull of grated cheddar, or sundried tomato paste and a few sundried tomatoes in with the cheese and I make a pizza sized sundried tomato and oregano foccaccia to put it in.

Now that is irrisistable. Thank fully everyone else thinks so too so I only get a to eat a very llittle. :lol: :lol:
Piccallili is good for using up courgettes and beans and it is quick to make :lol:

Madame Cholet

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 22:01 »
yes my mum left me to my own divices once i became 14 except for washing my clothes which all went in together. cooking, doing home work getting myself off to school. buying my clothes with money i earnt doing a  saturday jobs been very independant since.

As for the weight i'm doing the 2 day fasting thing a its falling off fast really chuffed. going to make some really garlicy humus I can almost taste it.

xx
tonight

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 21:49
by Ice
xx
Made some more tonight.

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 18:30
by muntjac
xx
For dinner tonight

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 08:17
by flitwickone
xx
mexican tonight

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 18:45
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 29 queries.