Bedding killed my Chicken

• 25 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Bedding killed my Chicken
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 00:04 »
We always used large wood shavings, but for some reason over winter we ended up with large flake sawdust.
I don't like it - I'm sure they eat it and it produces more dust when cleaning (I'm asthmatic so have to be careful around feathers and dust - oddly the chooks don't bother me. I often cuddle my Genevieve) but we've now got the big wood shavings back now so I'm pleased - I won't have to wear a mask after cleaning on sunday! :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 12:34 »
 :(  Lotty one of my Partridge Wyandotte bantams passed away during the night.   :( 

She has been the bottom of the pecking order so I put her in on her own but she did not like that so I put her back with the others.  I put feed and water on a table she liked to sit on which is out of the way of the big girls.  She has looked sad for a little while but I couldn't find anything causing this.  She was eating and drinking and pooing.  I have checked her internal organs (post mortem) and her gizzard was full of a mixture of damp pulp, food and grit.  Her crop had been emptying and there was no bad smell on her innards but there was a build up of clear fluid.

I use Nedz Bedz Pro and this is their info.

"Nedz Pro

Made from Oil Seed Rape Straw, Nedz Pro offers a super absorbent alternative to shavings and other bedding materials – whilst combining all the benefits of quick rotting, easy to muck out, cosy chopped straw!

Due to its highly absorbent properties Nedz Pro only requires a full muck out once a week, creating a sturdy, comfortable base for your horse or pony to bed on. On top of this the unique Natural Nedz formula that is used in the bedding offers a safe, natural and organic environment for your horse that reduces ammonia levels and helps with horses suffering from respiratory and skin problems."

I will now have to find an alternative as I don't want this happening again.   :(

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 21:22 »
You think it was definitely the bedding then ANHBUC?

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 21:45 »
I have always used sawdust in their coop, straw in the nesting box & also on floor of their inside run.
Never had a problem and as mentioned in another reply, regular cleaning stops the straw getting to damp.
I poo pick every other day & they get a full clean out once a month, depending on how bad the weather has been.
The sawdust & straw gets put on a separate compost pile & rots down ok.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55 »
I was advised against Wood Shavings as they dont compost well apparently.

Mixed with chicken poo, it composts well enough ... we mix ours in with our regular compost and straw from the nest box (changed daily)  in a plastic compost bin - I run four compost bins altogether ... by the time the last bin is full, the first is ready to use. Sometimes it rots down so quickly I'm not ready to use it, so a neighbour benefits instead.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 17:19 »
You think it was definitely the bedding then ANHBUC?

Yes, I use it in the run as well as it is covered and doesn't get wet.  They all seem to peck at it but I suppose with her being a small bird her digestive system got blocked. 

One of my large fowl is also a bit quiet so I have given her some cod liver oil in a hope to loosen things up.  I will try and get some live maggots tomorrow and hopefully they will chomp their way through any blockage.  I used to scatter mixed corn on the floor occasionally for them.  I will stop doing that in case that is when they are eating the bedding in the rush to get their share!   ::)

ehs284

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 18:46 »
We use large shavings but did try shredded paper once; they ate it!
For impacted crop, which we think was due to eating grass in the field, a pint of maggots worked wonders and no risk.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 14:05 »
I use miscanthus on the run floor as our run is covered. Never had any issues with the girls eating it and it composts nicely. Also it's heavy enough note to blow around. I use Bliss in the coop as it's finer and the citrus makes the coop smell nice.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

barley

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 19:34 »
I have a cross shredder machine and I use shredded paper - have done for 10 years with no problems

treecol

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 23:13 »
Can I just ask if hens can eat maggots as part of their diet or only to fix impaction?

Sassy

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 08:07 »
If you don't get a response Trecol, suggest staring a new post :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Chicken Bedding

Started by stujem on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 20:05
by jinty1911
xx
Bedding for chicken house

Started by allotmentnut on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:03
by mamashango184
xx
OMG I think I have killed her!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 06:12
by karlooben
xx
Chick Killed!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:37
by pushrod

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 32 queries.