Asparagus

• 22 Replies

Livinhope

Asparagus
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:01 »
DD.  On the 'Volume of produce' thread you say you have just harvested £18 worth of asparagus.  I have always understood that this was difficult to grow and have therefore never tried it.  Can you direct me to or tell me yourself the basics, how and when to plant, and what it actually comes as e.g. plants, seeds?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:52 »
Off to the plot, I'll try and answer this later.

Pehaps some one else can contribute. You can either start them as seed, (which I did), or plant crowns for a quicker crop.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

crh75

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 13:00 »
I'm not DD but I'll answer anyway!

You get asparagus as plants or seed. You can buy seed but, it takes a long time (5 years I think) until you will be able to harvest. Secondly you only want the male plants (I think I have this the right way round) as they produce more shoots than the females.  The plants you buy are already a few years old so you can be in full harvest in 2-3 years.

They are not that difficult to grow but take a fair ammont of space for a relatively low yield. Also they have a permanent bed that you only harvest from for a couple of months! The hardest thing is all the weeding as you need to be very carefull of the shallow roots.

I do grow asparagus as I love it. My main issue though is that it goes from too small to harvest to too big in about a day, so you need to be able to visit the plot most days to get the full benefit. Unfortunately, I tend to go to the plot mainly at weekends and so I miss lots of spears.

I hope this helps.

Allotment Jon

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 13:02 »
First year for me with Asparagus. I bought crowns as they were reduced at my local garden centre. I got 3 crowns for 75p.

The crowns were sort of spider shaped and basically you dig a hole with a raised ridge down the middle and then divide the legs and spread over the ridge so the plant is basically sitting on it. I then filled with soil and waited.

After the recent rainfall I went down last night and noticed 2 had popped up one being about 5 inches high the other about 2 inch.

I have been told you can harvest on the third year and until then let them grow, cutting back at the end of the season to establish themselves.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 13:23 »
This should get you going.

Pick a part of the plot or garden that is out of the way but gets good sun.  Asparagus beds last for 20 years!

In my opinion I would recommend that you only buy year old crowns in early spring from a high quality supplier. Don't buy anything from private sellers on ebay as this will improve your chances of a decent quality plant.  I'm sure there are good suppliers on ebay but don't take a punt.  These year old crowns are expensive.

Plant the crowns in a bed that has been well prepared.  You can start working on the bed now.  Make the soil light and full of food.  Well rotten manure and compost and if you have clay soil add some grit.  The soil needs to be light and free draining.  Asparagus grow very shallow roots and don't like being waterlogged.

Look on my blog, if you like, under the Asparagus link in the Links Box on the bottom right of the front page to see how I planted mine.   The soil must be weed free so keep cultivating the bed for several weeks before the plants go in.  Before the plants go in you have to be able to look at the soil and say that ‘s the best soil on my plot/garden. 

I have very good light sandy soil.  It's perfect for Asparagus.  Yours may need some work but I think Hampshire is quite chalky soil.

Plant in April 2011.  You will have to leave the crowns alone and just keep weeding the soil and feeding the plants.  Cut back once all the ferns have died back (usually in October) Mulch well with manure and straw during the autumn to protect the shallow roots from winter cold.  Do not pick Any Asparagus in April 2012 at all.  Then in April 2013 you can have your first small harvest.  After that, in April 2014 you can harvest as much as you like up until June 2014.

Try and buy a couple of early crowns and a couple of late crowns (mark them clearly when planting) so you can extend the short season.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 13:28 »
What is that double under score on the word food? 

It apprears to have a NesCafe advert attched to it.  I did not knowingly do this. 

A little help anyone?

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 13:40 »
Thanks so much for the info.  You're right, north Hampshire equals chalk, by the mountain.
I have the perfect spot on the top of our allotment just below the rhubarb, (our allotment isn't so very chalky, it's 4 1/2 miles away from where we live and lower down) so if it's started now we should be able to plant next April? 

Big Question: How many plants would I need for two people to have a few decent feeds but not get sick of? :D As if!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 14:06 »
Hi I have 10 plants in a bed at home and 10 down at the plot. That seems to give us good supply every 3 days or so. One suggestion I would make is to work VERY hard at clearing the perenial weeds from your bed before you plant next year. I thought I had cleared the beds well but have learnt that you can't be sure. Also suggest you keep bed away from your soft fruit I have raspberry runners coming up in the middle of my bed!!
Prepare beds really well a 20 year pay back means it is well woth the effort
Good luck HH
Keep digging

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 14:23 »
If it was me I'd get some seed and throw it in a nursery bed. Come next april dig it up and move it to it's final bed. Far cheaper than buying one year old crowns next year ;)

¥

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 14:26 »
I think the asparagus will probably see me out  ???.  I can't plant at home (chalk/flint) but a few plants on the allotment should provide a treat for a short while.  No soft fruit on the plot apart from the rhubarb.  The only perenial weed we have now is bindweed, not a lot, going to have a look at corynsboys site to see how to prepare the bed.  So here goes and thanks a million boys.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 14:35 »
Here's another bit of info for anyone interested:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/aparagus/index.php

Asparagus can be a bit fiddly to get going, but easier than parsnips for many, and once they've settled in and started growing, they're low maintenance and will yield well for 20-40 years, the average lifespan of asparagus roots. Mine are superior in taste to store bought and have paid for themselves many times over.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 14:53 »
I planted 20 two year crowns 2 years ago. Last year I picked for 3 weeks and then let them grow up, as instructed by the supplier.

This year I have picked 120 spears to date and will now let them grow up. The recognised date for ceasing picking I think is the Summer solstice 21st June.

If you want to put a value on that the local market has been selling bunches of 10 for £2 so you can say £24. More than my money back for the cost of crowns.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 14:57 by Salmo »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 15:14 »
Big Question: How many plants would I need for two people to have a few decent feeds but not get sick of? :D As if!

The figure I have seen quoted is 15 spears per plant per year. In my experience that is the absolute maximum you can expect from the best varieties at their maximum vigour (my bed of 10 plants (mixed varieties) has been established for at least 5 years and is still improving year-on-year but I still wouldn't say I've had 15 off any of them!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 15:17 »
Thanks all, mine were started from seed, (3 years from sowing to having your first few), seed were obtained from the plants of an adjacent plot holder, (with permission).  I sowed 40 seed in cells and got 39 crowns.

Yabba

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 15:20 »
Thanks all, mine were started from seed, (3 years from sowing to having your first few)

Can't wait until next year when I can try a few of mine ... first spear I harvest will pay for the seed :D

¥

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 16:22
by savbo

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 30 queries.