Sitting Runner Duck?

• 4 Replies

bertiewhite

Sitting Runner Duck?
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:46 »
I've been told that Runner Ducks are not good parents but for the last couple of days one particular female has been sitting on the nest instead of sitting with the others outside as she did previously and she's bult up bedding around her. Sometimes one of the other females sits with her. We originally had 2 males & 3 females and there was no laying whatsoever but the 2 males started to fight so we gave one away, the remaining ducks started doing a head bobbing ritual and ever since then we usually get 3 eggs a day.

Have I got a broody duck and if so how likely is it that we will have some ducklings on the way? Will the others still lay? If so are they likely to lay in another place?

Sassy

Re: Sitting Runner Duck?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56 »
Ducks are not known to be good mothers but there are always exceptions. It is often the case that they sit for so long and then get fed up.

I don't know about the others laying but I would be suprised if it put the others off. My Khakis don't always lay in the same place. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bertiewhite

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35 »
Well all 3 females ended up sitting and we had our first duckling hatch yesterday  :D  We've no idea of how many other eggs they're sitting on but it's a lot (we found one egg tossed out by the way)

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:39 »
Brilliant I'm really envious :)

jamima

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:33 »
My call duck has just started sitting, we lost the other female who was sitting to the fox !She used to be a great mother, i find it's the drakes you have the problem with.

xx
Duck sitting

Started by jamima on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:10
by jamima
xx
sitting duck

Started by yacks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 15:40
by yacks
xx
bantams sitting on duck eggs

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 14:49
by lisa123
xx
Campbell duck sitting advice needed please

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 18:19
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 28 queries.