My first real panic

• 3 Replies

Carolf

• Experienced Member
My first real panic
« on: May 14, 2012, 17:31 »
It would appear one of my 2 fat ladies is egg bound.  She is the one that doesn't lay eggs unless you count the 2 shell-less ones she laid not long after we got her (about a year ago). 
Last week she actually laid a 'proper' egg but it was the size of a bantam egg, so tiny and bullet shaped. 
Last night I saw she was just standing about under the tree looking pitiful, all puffed up and not doing much and she wasn't for joining her lady friend in the coop so I picked her up and put her in.
This morning she was still the same, but she came out of the coop and made a very yellowy/mucousy (probably not a word but hope you get the picture - and not too graphic a one at that) poo then went to stand under the tree again.

I brought her in and gave her a warm bath, dried her off and put her in a carrier with some hemp a bit of food and water.  She is still there looking sorry for herself and I can't help but feel sorry for her too.  I am hoping I have done the right thing and I plan to leave her there overnight (I think this is the right thing to do but I am open to any advice as usual).

If she is still like this in the morning I will take her to the vet but fingers crossed she will be right as rain soon.
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: My first real panic
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 21:28 »
It may have been a soft shelled egg broken inside her.  The warm bath is a good idea, you need to do it for about 20 minutes.  Check her in the morning, if she has managed to pass all of the egg she will feel loads better.

Hope she improves overnight.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:59 »
ANHBUC you were correct.  I checked her this morning and there was a lot of 'gooey' stuff plus yoke in the bottom of the cage.
She is a lot better today so I put her back in the enclosure and she headed straight for the water and drank for ages. I gave her porridge made up of layers pellets and a couple of (mini) shredded wheat.  She had a few mouthfuls and also made a half hearted attempt at foraging but I think she is over the worst now.

I will keep an eye on her today but I think it is fair to say she looks much better and happier than she did yesterday.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:55 »
That is really good news.  Just keep an eye on her as she might be prone to this happening now and then.  Mine that has the same problem is the greediest which I think might have something to do with it.  Any treats going and she manages to get three times as much as the rest.  So I keep them on layers pellets/mash which seems to help.

xx
Real newbie here - help its raining!!

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 20:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
Panic over!

Started by kimT on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 18:32
by kimT
xx
Stitches out......PANIC

Started by Doodle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 21:56
by Doodle
xx
PANIC STATIONS!!!!!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 20:59
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 28 queries.