which potato?

• 9 Replies

Grubbypaws

which potato?
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:59 »
I am going to start growing potatoes in containers; I have never grown pototoes before so am completely ignorant.

I want a potato that I can pick, boil and add to my salad or have as a side with a touch of butter.

I love jersey new potatoes. Can anyone advise me what seed potatoes I should buy.

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:29 by Ice »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: which potatoe?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26 »
Jersey potatoes are actually "International Kidney" potatoes grown in Jersey, and never seem to taste anything like as good grown elsewhere.

Charlotte, Lady Christl, Pentland Javelin are all highly regarded early potatoes which are great when harvested young as salad potatoes.

Have a look in the "Potato and tomato popularity polls" in this forum for further options and views (Charlotte is technically a second early by the way.)  :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that you are likely to be restricted in your choice by availability as it's quite late in the potato seed-buying season (if not the actual planting season) now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:36 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

Re: which potato?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:58 »
last week I visited JBA website and was able to pick up some varieties but as JayG said, stocks are very limited and some of the potatoes arrived with shoots (though the spuds are all perfectly fine for planting)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 17:21 »
Try your local lotty shop first, they may still have some left - and Charlotte is a popular standard variety
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 18:18 »
After reading  all the comments on the potato poll I have plumped for Lady Christl which I found in the garden centre. It was the last packet!

My husband has decided to take on the potatoes; it is great to see him getting interested in my edible garden.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 18:18 »
That's a great choice! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

digalotty

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 19:33 »
remember to feed them regular and you should get some decent spuds :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 14:26 »
What should I feed them and when?

Do I still need to feed them if I plant them in good  compost/well rotted manure?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 20:25 »
@clareblues

You're growing in containers, I think you said?  Peat-based compost only has enough nutrients for a few weeks, manure doesn't have a lot of guaranteed nutrients.  I would add a general purpose fertiliser or chicken pellets to the compost when planting or earthing up, to assist. 

But the most important thing for you will be the watering.  Without that, your crop won't be any good anyway.  The spuds need lots of water to help them swell up.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:45 »
Thank you Yorkie,

The husband planted them yesterday while I was at work. Nice to see him so excited about growing things but gosh he is a messy gardener!

The spuds will be fine but I am going to have to disown that corner of my garden!

xx
Potato Day

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 20:02
by sunshineband
clip
potato

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 10:50
by wil4025
xx
potato help please!!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 19:04
by Tattyanne456
xx
potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2015, 09:57
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 30 queries.