Hen Needs a Home

• 5 Replies

rebecca.smiles

Hen Needs a Home
« on: June 07, 2011, 18:46 »
Hi all, I posted a little while back about getting my first chickens and finding on had marek's. After she died I got my remaining chicken a companion. But now the second chicken has died. It wasn't obviously marek's, but she stated walking flat footed and got a temper on her (I put this down to getting fat quickly, my neighbour feeds them constantly, even though I ask her not to) one day she's fine. next morning, dead.

I now have the new chicken on her own. I'm quite emotionally exhausted from chicken keeping as it has been a case of trying to find out what is wrong with them, trying to fix things etc etc.

I don't want to get her a companion only for her or the new girl to get sick, so I am looking to re-home her.

I'm not sure about how someone here would feel about taking her on? also, how do you think people will feel about taking a chicken on that has been kept around another chicken with marek's? (she was vacinated at day old though). would animal sanctuaries/RSPCA take her on?

I want to do the best for her, and I don't feel that the best for her is here with me. Any ideas about who i should enquire of would be appreciated.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: Hen Needs a Home
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 18:53 »
Hi Rebecca
I'm may be in the same boat, in that I think one of mine displayed symptoms of Mareks about 4 weeks after I got my flock and she had to be pts. So now I don't want to get any more girls until all my original flock have lived out their lives in case they could be carriers. But if your chook has already been possibly exposed then I might be able to offer her a home. Whereabouts are you?

rebecca.smiles

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 18:59 »
Sorry to hear about your girl. I had to do the same with the first one.

It's very kind of you to offer, I would be grateful if it were possible. ..

I'm in Bath, somerset.

She is a lovely, demure little black rock. When i got her she was in poor health as she was kept with lots of brahma's and i don't think she got a look in with the feed! I'm trying to get some weight on her now and she seems to be thriving.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 19:30 »
Well as you see I'm in the Wirral - about 150 miles away! Could may be meet you half way?

My chooks are a Welsummer, RIR and two hybrids and they're about 18 months old now. They're in a run at the bottom of my garden which is about 15 x 12m so they've got lots of space and they are let into the garden on the grass when I can supervise round my veg patch etc!

rebecca.smiles

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 20:05 »
My BF is in York this week, and he is the only driver! so I will ask him to drive me when he gets back. thank you for your help. I'll get in touch again probably monday, to let you know how things are looking and discuss when/where.

This is so good of you!

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 22:46 »
Ok I'll check again then... or you can pm me.
If your BF is in York regularly I could perhaps meet you/him on the M6 somewhere nearer here if he goes that way.

xx
Home from home

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 20:03
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Going home

Started by MKD on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 08:52
by New shoot
xx
new home

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:07
by min200
xx
Home needed

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:32
by Foxy

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.